System Mercurial in non-standard location (Mac)

I installed Mercurial via HomeBrew, which puts it into /usr/local/Cellar/mercurial . This means I can't use the system Mercurial in SourceTree, because it complains about the location. Any work arounds for this?

3 answers

I have Mercurial installed using Homebrew, this path worked for me:

/usr/local/Cellar/mercurial/3.8.4/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mercurial

Note: you may have to tweak the mercurial version number. Also, when I attempted to link to the hg file in /usr/local/Cellar/mercurial/3.8.4/bin/ or the link in /usr/local/bin/hg it did not work.

SourceTree has the same problem with git and gpg, somehow it doesn't like symlinks which is very annoying on an *nix system.

I'm not familiar with HomeBrew. Can you put a symlink to mercurial in the location SourceTree expects?

Apparently SourceTree is on to that kind of trick. sad

At this point it might be helpful to share what error messages you're getting.

"Mercurial was not found on on your system in the standard locations; the SourceTree internal version will be used."

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

559 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you