Support for precomposeunicode = true?

Matthias Möller May 27, 2013

Hi,

I am new to Sourcetree but are used to using git for many years. Some of my files have German umlauts so that I need to enable

[core]
  precomposeunicode = true

in my global .gitconfig file. Is it somehow possible to enable the same feature within Sourcetree?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

best regards,

Matthias

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

Hi Matthias,

Many people using SourceTree deal with umlauts by using the core.quotepath Git setting. Here's a short article: http://blog.fealdia.org/2010/01/16/git-status-utf-8-umlaut-tip/

EDIT:

Sorry, I answered incorrectly. We don't plan on supporting this feature as it's too esoteric. If you set it in the .gitconfig then it should work fine.

Hope that helps

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2013

Hey Daniel,

Speak of the devil, I'm literally doing it right now. Expect it in 1.6.3 which I'll release as soon as possible (over the next week or so)

Hope that helps

Daniel Siegmann July 30, 2013

That's great news! Is there an issue on jira.atlassian.com I can watch?

I wouldn't consider this feature to be esoteric. But I don't think SourceTree needs to do anything aside from having a newer version of Git embedded.

Any plans to upgrade the embedded Git version?

1 vote

Despite Kieran's answer, I have confirmed SourceTree will display the status correctly when using an appropriate version of Git.

SourceTree version 1.6.2.2 comes with Git version 1.7.11.1 embedded. This apparently doesn't support the precomposeunicode property. So you must install a newer version of Git on your system and have SourceTree use that instead of the embedded version.

To change the version of Git being used, just go to Preferences, click the Git tab, and then click the "Use System Git" button. Select the git binary and you should be good to go. You may have to restart SourceTree.

I have confirmed it works with Git version 1.8.2. I should note I have yet to test this extensively, but the status at least is displayed correctly.

Hopefully SourceTree will someday embed a newer version of Git.

(As an aside, I have been unable to find in which version of Git this property was added, so I cannot say what the minimum Git version is.)

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2013

Yup, we're upgrading our embedded Git version for 1.6.3 which should be out over the next week or so. I need to do some further testing to ensure it's OK, however, but I can't imagine there being any problems.

Daniel Siegmann August 28, 2013

Looks like this didn't make SourceTree 1.6.3.1. Any ETA?

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2013

Unfortunately there wasn't enough time for a decent set of integration tests so we'll be holding off for a while yet. In the meantime you can still use system Git and make sure your system version is updated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events