Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden jump in SourceTree CPU usage on Mac with BitBucket Pipelines?

Jason Machacek June 28, 2019

Running MacOS 10.14.5, SourceTree 3.2 (224)

I just started using BitBucket pipelines. SourceTree started popping up build success/failure messages, and my Mac's fan started to spin up dramatically. I noticed SourceTree was suddenly 'Using Significant Energy.'

I've been using SourceTree without issue for years, and this suddenly started, literally the moment I kicked off my first Pipelines build. Very weird. Disabling SourceTree notifications doesn't help, nor does killing and restarting SourceTree.

After some testing, it appears that while a BitBucket Pipeline is executing, Sourcetree starts using a ton of CPU time. As soon as the build is done, it drops back down to load CPU usage. Pretty weird.

3 answers

0 votes
keisukekomeda May 14, 2020

I give up using BitBucket Pipeline because of this issue.

There are no better options for Git client, but there are many options for CI.

If this issue would be fixed, I'm willing to come back to BitBucket Pipeline!

0 votes
prasada April 29, 2020

Hi Brian,

I'm facing the same issue with SourceTree where the CPU usage suddenly spikes up while switching branches.  Looks like this has been an issue for many since 2 years.  Is there a fix already, or can it be expected soon? Please update.

Thanks,
Prasad

0 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2019

Hi @Jason Machacek,

We are aware of some architectural limitations around the Pipelines feature that cause the CPU spike you noticed. There are plans to address this in a future update. Thank you for your patience and feedback!

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree

Jason Machacek June 29, 2019

Thanks for the update! I'm a big fan of Sourcetree. Good to know a fix is in the works.

Johan Montan January 8, 2021

So @bgannin... How's the update coming along?
Been a while and the issue remains.

Using 4.0.2-build (236) and have to close the app between commits so that the battery won't get more worn down. 

kevinashworth March 23, 2021

March 2021. I'm using 4.1.0 on a Bitbucket project that happens to have Pipelines, not that I care about that stuff when doing local development. Sourcetree is kind of unusable for me due to high CPU. Ironically, I guess I can only use Sourcetree on GitHub projects...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events