Stop tracking marks file for deletion

I want to stop tracking a file so I can then ignore it. When I do stop tracking, it puts it in my index with a RED circle for deletion.. reading online it seems it should be putting a question mark instead, I'm afraid it'll delete the file.

What am I doing wrong?

3 answers

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but what you describe will delete the file from the repository, but not from your working copy. In other words, the file will still be in the directory you are modifying, but if someone was to clone your repository, they wouldn't have the file at all.

I don't know of any way to ignore a file in your working copy that exists in the repository.

Well, isn't that what gitignore command is(Which worked in the command line)

It allows me to ignore the changes I make locally, but keep the file in the repo. For example I'm using this to hard code my ID and PW in a form, but obviously I don't want to check it in to git.. So this way this login file is ignored...

I was able to do it in the command line, just curious why it's not working with sourcetree.

It's just a matter of misunderstanding the command. For some reason Atlassian appears to have made the decision to disable ignoring tracked files via the UI. "Stop tracking" is a different, but still important, feature.

I expect ignoring files like this is a rare occurance. You'll just have to rely on the command line, I think.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

824 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you