Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree unable to gain access to repository in any version after 3.0.17

Todd Sievel January 31, 2020

This issue has been plaguing me for months now.  I wrote a while back and the support assistant just stopped answering. Hopefully this experience is better.

ST Version:  3.3.6
GIT version: 2.25.1
ST setting set to: System GIT

Issue:
After upgrading from version 3.0.17 ST never has worked again.  Or at least has thrown errors.  Specifically whenever i try a command I get an error:

'git status' failed with code -1:
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Access is denied
(C:\users\USERNAME\source\repos\projname)

To resolve this I have tried the following:

--In Windows
- Delete repo
- Clone repo and manually set properties to full access

The following are the steps in order that i've last tried

-- In Sourcetree
1. In Authentication tab Delete all accounts and Saved Passwords
2. Delete any abandoned local repos
3. Uninstall Sourcetree
4. GoTo Credential Manager in Windows and Delete all credentials to GIT or ST
5. Delete C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Atlassian

All should be clear
6. Install Sourcetree
7. GoTo Remote and fill in
    Hosting Service:  GitHub Enterprise
    Host URL: https://githubenterprise.xxx.com
    Preferred Protocol: HTTPS
    Authentication: Basic
    Username:  UN
    Refresh Password
    Authention OK

At this point I can see all the repositories in my  organization.  I scroll down to find mine and see that it isn't listed as 'private'.  I click the "Clone" link on the right and it takes me to the Clone tab with all fields pre-populated.  

The "Source Path / URL:" is correctly populate with:
https://githubenterprise.COMPANY.com/FOLDER/PROJECT.git

But under the text box reads:  "This is not a valid source path / URL".  I click on the Details button and get a dialog to pop up with the following information:

Command: git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false --no-optional-locks ls-remote https://githubenterprise.COMPANY.com/FOLDER/PROJECT.git
Output:
Error: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Access is denied

This is where I'm stuck in ST as the clone button down below never enables.  I copy the command that ST says errors out and paste it into a powershell command window and see that the repository is correctly cloned to my local drive.  I move back to ST and attempt to then Add it with no avail.  

If I uninstall this version and go back to 3.0 I will have no problem.  I'd really like to upgrade as I've seen a lot of the improvements you've made to the product and am excited to use it.  

Any and all help is appreciated.  Thank you.

5 answers

1 vote
Shekib March 24, 2021

Had same problem with a fresh installation of ST v. 3.4.3 on win10, where it says invalid repository and "Error: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Access is denied"

Solution: Run ST as administrator in windows

0 votes
C. Myers May 18, 2022

I'm having the exact same issues. Any version after 3.0.17 (and I've tried them all!!) don't seem to work. They all get the same error "System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Access is denied" when trying to do any git function. I am using "Git for Windows" and have no problems with Git Bash, etc. It seems to be an issue in how SourceTree is invoking Git.

When running SourceTree as Admin, it seems to work, but that is not a workable solution in an enterprise environment where normal users don't have admin privs.

0 votes
Mohit Dhingra May 15, 2020

same problem .... any suggestion please?

0 votes
Dmitri Ulyanov April 27, 2020

--bump

Hi

I am seeing exactly the same issue on 3.3.8 on Windows - wondering if anyone has any suggestions

Regards,

0 votes
Todd Sievel February 25, 2020

Any help?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events