Sourcetree keeps asking password after installing version 2.6.3

it's a nightmare, it had happened to me before.

it just keeps asking for password if I try to push. I tried both SSH and HTTPS.

I checked that my KEYs are generated and are added to bitbucket. (they already were). it just doesn't work... I don't know what to do.

also when the popup appears, the checkbox "store password in keychain" is checked but does nothing.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

If using ssh, can you please check if the keys are added to the agent?

You can run below command to check for keys in agent,

ssh-add -l

If you don't find your keys listed, please add them using below command,

ssh-add <path_to_key>

thanks, I have just tried that, but I get error:

Error loading key "/Users/myusername/.ssh/myusername-Bitbucket.pub": invalid format

any suggestions?

(by the way, the result of ssh-add -l was, indeed "The agent has no identities", so I guess the problem is identified now)

You should try this,

ssh-add ~/.ssh/myusername-Bitbucket

oh brilliant!

that worked!! thanks a lot...

Hi!

I still have a problem, I'm afraid...

when I add the identity, it works. But the next day when I open my computer again, it is missing again. So I have to do this every day... isn't there a way to make this "permanent"?

and also, SourceTree keeps poping up the "password required" message, which is very annoying. I close it and it just appears again...

Hi,

This is what Apple suggest to make it permanent - https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2449/_index.html

This hasn't worked for me personally. But, I would recommend you try this to see if it works for you. 

Thanks,
Manjunath
Sourcetree Developer

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

831 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you