Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree files will not open on pc - please help

Sam Rickard April 11, 2019

Hello, I've just downloaded this program today in order to continue with a course and unlike my instructor I am unable to open any files in Sourcetree. A window continues to pop up and ask me how I’d like to open the file, and upon clicking open it does not open. Any help / feedback here would be greatly appreciated!

sendthisto.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2019

Hello! You don't need to open files in Sourcetree -- you'll primarily use it for versioning your files. Could you provide more context as to how your instructor wants you to open those files? A screenshot would help!

Thanks!

Hey Mike, really appreciate the response! Apparently, at the moment we are ignoring different files in order for them to be left out of the version control of our Unity project.

After ignoring all under "Library" we then get a ".gitignore". He is then able to open up the .gitignore file under Unstaged files by simply double-clicking it. This is where I'm having trouble. A window pops up for him saying we've ignored "/Library". He then tells us to copy and paste in Unity-specific things to ignore in .gitignore from a trusted source like Github.11.png33.png

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2019

Ahhh, okay I understand now. You should be able to more easily open the file by:

• Right click on the file, and select "Show in Explorer"
  • The file should now be revealed in Explorer
  • From there, Right Click on the file, select "Open With"
  • Expand the "More apps" button
  • Select Notepad

As an alternative, once the file is shown in Explorer you can open Notepad, and drag the file into Notepad to edit it.

You're a life saver Mike! :) thanks a ton!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events