Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree crashes when checking out remote branch.

Spencer Kolbus November 14, 2019

Two things happen when I try to check out a remote branch from my bitbucket repository.

1. Sourcetree cannot see the local repo for this remote repo and asks me to create a new one.
  2. If it was able to see local repo for this remote repo, when it goes to checkout the branch it crashes immediately. 

Also there is a red "!" symbol by the remote icon in Sourcetree, and when I go in and edit the settings of the repo that goes away. However I am still unable to checkout remote branches and it crashes when I try.

I can fetch, pull, and push to the repo and am getting updates when I need to pull even though I can't checkout a remote branch. I can create a new local on and push it to Bitbucket, but any new remote branches I cannot checkout.

The only way I was able to checkout a remote branch was to either use the git command line, or uninstalling Sourcetree and installing version 3.2.6.3544 of Sourcetree from the website. Once installed I get a notifiation to update to the most current version and if I do that I am unable to checkout remote branches.

So I am unable to update Sourcetree cause it will break my remote repo. Has anyone else had this problem?

10 answers

1 vote
alexjdg November 19, 2020

I'm having the exact same issue on versions newer than 3.2.6, up to 3.3.9 (latest).

0 votes
ceasar stevens June 13, 2023

No answer here yet. But I have version 3.0.17 and I have had this for over 6 months no issues until now. When I try to create a branch from bitbucket and open it in SourceTree it crashes. 

The remote icon does have a red warning icon but that has been there a while, so I don't think it's the settings. 

ceasar stevens June 13, 2023

So maybe this will help someone.  This is what worked for me. I recently updated my Newtork password however it did not update my password stored for Bitbucket I guess. So, I went to Windows Search box and typed Credential Manager. I opened Credential Manager and selected Windows Credentials and scrolled down to my repository path name and clicked the arrow to open the credentials and then clicked edit and updated my password. Logged out of bitbucket and logged back in (with the Captcha) and was able to check out the branch I needed from Bitbucket. 

0 votes
phil.kenderdine@incontrol.com April 8, 2021

I have been having this problem for sometime. It used to be a nice feature but now I always copy the git command and use git to fetch and check out the branch. I did try to revert to an earlier version but the problem still remained. I will try to 3.2.6 version and see how we go.

0 votes
fergiektid August 5, 2020

Same issue here with 3.3.9.

Event viewer shows pretty much an identical error to that explained here :
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/SourceTree-keeps-crashing-checking-out-a-BitBucket-branch/qaq-p/1435058

Reverted to 3.2.6 and all is well.

0 votes
Rob Richardson July 20, 2020

I've had this same issue with 3.3.9. Rolled back to 3.2.6 which seems to work

Steve Plant July 20, 2020

For info: I have stayed with 3.2.6, which is working OK for me (fingers crossed), for that same reason.

Like Rob Richardson likes this
Steve Plant July 20, 2020

Isn't it disappointing how an error like this can persist, seemingly without any action from Altlassian? At least there is hope on our side - moving to GitHub soon, which means goodbye to SourceTree. 

0 votes
mprodan2 May 4, 2020

are there any updates on this? 

Same issue on 3.3.8. Did not have this issue on my previous version, but frankly i am not sure which one was it :)

0 votes
Stefan Hirschenberger April 18, 2020

Same Issue here.
Even in 3.3.8.

0 votes
Bluestone69 January 27, 2020

I am getting exactly the same issue with 3.3.4.

0 votes
anders_melander November 25, 2019

I've had these problem too since upgrading to 3.3.4

I have the "!" symbol too and have to edit the settings before I can checkout. The setting changes aren't persisted so I have to do it every time I start SourceTree - crash or no crash.
I can check out by branching the "remotes" tree and selecting "checkout", but if I use Respository->Checkout or if I "Check out in SourceTree" via Stash I get the crash immediately.

0 votes
Steve Plant November 22, 2019

I have had the same issue with 3.3.4 today.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events