Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree always aks for Atlassian username / password

A B August 14, 2019

Sourcetree 3.1.3 on Windows 10 x64 always asks for Atlassian username/password. Even if entered correctly, on next pull or push it asks again (each time twice). I tried everything: Remove the app, reinstall, delete app-data and so on. It is really getting on my nerves. This behaviour didn't exists some days ago... How to solve this???

1 answer

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2019

Are you using ActiveDirectory and did this occur after changing your password recently? We also have this problem from time to time after password changes.

SourceTree uses the program "Git Credential Manager for Windows" (or something like this) to store the git credentials within the "Windows CredentialStore" of Windows. git uses the password stored within "Windows CredentialStore" for its actions (using the http-Protocol).

After changing the password in Windows, the password in ActiveDirectory and "Windows Credential Store" are not identical anymore and therefore a new password has to be stored in "Windows CredentialStore" as well: but due to unknown reason SourceTree notices the discrepancy between actual and stored password and the password request pops up BUT fails to renew the password within Windows Credential Store. Next time there is still the discrepancy, the password is requested, BUT the update fails again .....

Solution:

* Open the "Windows Credential Store" on your system (searching for "Windows Credential Store" in your Windows search bar)

* Locate all entries related SourceTree/Bitbucket/git within the Windows Credential Store

* Remove all entries

* ... and try again. SourceTree should request the password again and should now be able to store the password ...

That's how I solve our problems here

----

Sorry - I have a localized windows version, so I don't know the exact english wording for "Windows CredentialStore"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events