Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree Support for Built-in Windows SSH Agent

brandon_liles November 30, 2018

Since Windows 10 1803, a built-in/optional OpenSSH implementation is included with Windows, including a SSH agent service. I've configured git to use this OpenSSH by adding this to my .gitconfig:

[core]
        sshCommand = "C:/Windows/System32/OpenSSH/ssh.exe"

Sourcetree however, seems to only want to use either Pageant or the OpenSSH agent bundled with Git. Anyone know of a workaround, or do we just have to wait for Sourcetree to support the built-in OpenSSH implementation?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2018

Hi

We have prototyped using the built in OpenSSH but ran into some issues around make sure it was available and running. We continue to monitor it and work on it, but it is not yet a roadmapped feature.

David July 24, 2023

It's been a couple of years, has there been any progress on this feature?

I'd really like to get ride of putty and the custom OpenSSH ssh-agent.

Ryan Taylor August 14, 2023

@minnseyHas there been any progress on this?

When I configure SourceTree to use OpenSSH it appears to start a new ssh-agent each time SourceTree is started and I receive the following error:

2023-08-14_8-29-24.png

SourceTree is not the only way in which our teams interact with git via SSH. We also use the git cli directly, vscode, visual studio, Git Kraken, among others. It would be immensely helpful if SourceTree for Windows could use the same OpenSSH agent that Bitbucket's own documents mention.

Leons August 23, 2023

@Ryan Taylor When your OpenSSH of windows setting is ok, then you no need the ssh client of SourceTree. Disable it and use the system git.

image.pngimage.png

Ryan Taylor August 24, 2023

@Leonswhen I do that, SourceTree is then configured to use PuTTY rather than OpenSSH and I receive errors on fetch and pull.

My OpenSSH configuration works flawlessly with

• git bash
  • git from cmd/powershell
  • git from vscode
  • git from visual studio
  • fork
  • GitKraken

The only tool chain that seems to have issues with Windows' built-in OpenSSH is SourceTree.

0 votes
Ryan Taylor August 10, 2023

SourceTree is not the only way in which our teams interact with git. We also use the git cli directly, vscode, visual studio, among others. It would be immensely helpful if SourceTree for Windows could use the same OpenSSH agent that even your own documents mention.

This could simplify setup.

0 votes
Shawn Zivontsis July 28, 2020

I was able to accomplish this with the newly released winssh-pagent tool by setting Sourcetree to use Pageant auth and unchecking the "Start agent" box. See: https://github.com/ndbeals/winssh-pageant

0 votes
David Añez June 17, 2020

Greetings!

Is this feature still considered for a future release?

In my new job I started using SourceTree, since it is the division policy, and I like it so far. However, I wish it could use Windows SSH-Agent, which I already successfully configured for the few instances when I do manual git commands.

0 votes
TeiTec October 3, 2019

Hi,

Is there meanwhil an update when the feature will  be available or at least on the roadmap?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events