Sourcetree - Strange error when testing connections

I wanted to try Sourcetree on my Win7 PC but ran into some issue when adding and testing a bitbucket or github account.
For every added account I get a message like this:

"The 'BR' start tag on line 6 position 30 does not match the end tag of 'FONT'. Line 7, position 3."

I am using the latest downloadable version.

What can cause this error?

6 answers

I saw this same issue when the OS configuation for proxy server was set to use a configuration script. Try turning that off, and see if the error goes away.

Further digging shows that when trying to browse repositories, this error continues to show up. Even if I try to use a bitbucket account, with SSH selected, the built in Sourcetree repository browser fails to connect.

Would be nice to see some actual logging of what goes on.

I have the same problem here, proxy setting work on other applications.

In our case, turned out the proxy server needed authentication.

what do you mean by " proxy server needed authentication"? I give my credentials to sourcetree under Tools > network. Which are the same i use for maven. But it just wont work. I tried know at home without the proxy stuff and it worked perfect.

In our case, we had a network proxy server that was demanding authentication before allowing traffic through. Since the Bitbucket API for giving a list of repos that the user can see/clone/etc is over HTTP, I couldn't even get a list of repos to show in SourceTree. Once I turned on proxy authentication with the proper credentials, then the error disappeared.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

828 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you