Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree Not Working on Windows 8.1

Michael Eshom January 8, 2014

I just got a new laptop and had previously been using SourceTree on Windows 7 without a problem. However, I cannot make it work on Windows 8.1 - it pops up with a blank dialog and another blank "Welcome" dialog. If I click somewhere within the "Welcome" dialog, it either goes away or reappears depending on where I click, and eventually I get a message saying that Sourcetree "has stopped working". I love the program and want to continue using it. On your homepage you show it running on Windows 8. What's the problem?

2 answers

1 vote
Stef Green May 27, 2014

Hi Seth Foss,

I also have this problem. I have tried to re-install 3 times now, and still just says "Has stopped working" almost instantly after launching it. So it's not minor UI problems, the problem is that it crashes and is impossible to use.

Any suggestions?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2014

I haven't had a similar problem, but others have. This one found an answer: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/286989/sourcetree-does-not-run-on-windows-8-1

Try searching this site for "sourcetree crash", and skip over any that mention OSX or Sourcetree versions 1.6+ (Windows SourceTree version is 1.5.x as of May 2014).

Stef Green May 28, 2014

Thanks, I tried installing new intel drivers - but unfortunately it didn't help :(

Is there someway I can offer more information, can I find an output.log somewhere? I tried to "open file location" but I can't find any logs, I might be searching the wrong place?

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2014

It works fine for me on Windows 8.1.

Go to Personalization and check your themes. Having a unique or broken theme has been known to cause minor UI problems in SourceTree even though Windows itself works fine (by "broken", I mean the background image is displayed as a black rectangle instead of whatever your background actually is).

If that doesn't work, try re-installing?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events