Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree - Error when pushing to Git

Paul Townsend April 2, 2015

I am trying to get sourcetree to push a change into Git (well, Gerrit actually). From the GIT command line I am able to clone the repo, and also push using a command of the form:

git push ssh://username@mygithost:29418/reponame.git HEAD:refs/for/master

However, if I attempt to push using Sourcetree, an error occurs (see below). I assume that since this work from the command line that there must something I have not configured properly in sourcetree?

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree push -v --tags origin refs/heads/master:refs/heads/refs/for/master 
Pushing to ssh://username@mygithost:29418/reponame.git
remote: 
remote: Processing changes: refs: 1        
remote: Processing changes: refs: 1, done            
Tossh://username@mygithost:29418/reponame.git
 = [up to date]      1.0.0 -> 1.0.0
 = [up to date]      1.1.0 -> 1.1.0
 = [up to date]      1.1.1 -> 1.1.1
 = [up to date]      1.1.2 -> 1.1.2
 = [up to date]      1.1.3 -> 1.1.3
 = [up to date]      1.1.4 -> 1.1.4
 = [up to date]      1.1.5 -> 1.1.5
 ! [remote rejected] master -> refs/for/master (prohibited by Gerrit)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://username@mygithost:29418/reponame.git'
Completed with errors, see above

4 answers

0 votes
赵琦刚 July 15, 2019

I  am  the same error.  I can push my content success   ,but it  show the same error

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2015

After succeeding (with 0 changes) for all other branches, the error message says "[remote rejected] master -> refs/for/master (prohibited by Gerrit)"

=> It is Gerrit stopping your push, not SourceTree. Do you have sufficient rights to push to master?

Paul Townsend April 8, 2015

I assume that I do have push rights, as I am able to push to the same repo using the git command line, as follows: git push ssh://username@mygithost:29418/reponame.git HEAD:refs/for/master

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2015

Does SourceTree use a different SSH agent? Is it running? Do you perhaps have multiple keys?

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2015

Yeah, it seems like SourceTree is using a different SSH key than is the command line, and that it's for an account for which you have permission on the other branches but not the master branch (whereas whatever SSH key the command line is using has permission on all branches). That's the only thing I can think of. That's why I asked whether it was a Mac or a PC, because I've seen this before on a PC where there in't built-in support for SSH so its easier to accidentally set up multiple keys. But I'd go to your ~/.ssh folder and see what keys you have set up there and compare that with what's configured on Gerrit.

Paul Townsend April 14, 2015

I checked my ~/.ssh folder. There is only one key in there. I will check that with what I have in gerrit to see if there is any difference.

Paul Townsend September 22, 2015

It seems that this is a bug in sourcetree 2.0.5. See: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2940

0 votes
Paul Townsend April 4, 2015

I am using a Mac.

0 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2015

Are you on a Mac or a PC? It seems like maybe your SSH isn't working

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events