Sourcetree - Error when pushing to Git

I am trying to get sourcetree to push a change into Git (well, Gerrit actually). From the GIT command line I am able to clone the repo, and also push using a command of the form:

git push ssh://username@mygithost:29418/reponame.git HEAD:refs/for/master

However, if I attempt to push using Sourcetree, an error occurs (see below). I assume that since this work from the command line that there must something I have not configured properly in sourcetree?

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree push -v --tags origin refs/heads/master:refs/heads/refs/for/master 
Pushing to ssh://username@mygithost:29418/reponame.git
remote: 
remote: Processing changes: refs: 1        
remote: Processing changes: refs: 1, done            
Tossh://username@mygithost:29418/reponame.git
 = [up to date]      1.0.0 -> 1.0.0
 = [up to date]      1.1.0 -> 1.1.0
 = [up to date]      1.1.1 -> 1.1.1
 = [up to date]      1.1.2 -> 1.1.2
 = [up to date]      1.1.3 -> 1.1.3
 = [up to date]      1.1.4 -> 1.1.4
 = [up to date]      1.1.5 -> 1.1.5
 ! [remote rejected] master -> refs/for/master (prohibited by Gerrit)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://username@mygithost:29418/reponame.git'
Completed with errors, see above

3 answers

Are you on a Mac or a PC? It seems like maybe your SSH isn't working

I am using a Mac.

After succeeding (with 0 changes) for all other branches, the error message says "[remote rejected] master -> refs/for/master (prohibited by Gerrit)"

=> It is Gerrit stopping your push, not SourceTree. Do you have sufficient rights to push to master?

I assume that I do have push rights, as I am able to push to the same repo using the git command line, as follows: git push ssh://username@mygithost:29418/reponame.git HEAD:refs/for/master

Does SourceTree use a different SSH agent? Is it running? Do you perhaps have multiple keys?

Yeah, it seems like SourceTree is using a different SSH key than is the command line, and that it's for an account for which you have permission on the other branches but not the master branch (whereas whatever SSH key the command line is using has permission on all branches). That's the only thing I can think of. That's why I asked whether it was a Mac or a PC, because I've seen this before on a PC where there in't built-in support for SSH so its easier to accidentally set up multiple keys. But I'd go to your ~/.ssh folder and see what keys you have set up there and compare that with what's configured on Gerrit.

I checked my ~/.ssh folder. There is only one key in there. I will check that with what I have in gerrit to see if there is any difference.

It seems that this is a bug in sourcetree 2.0.5. See: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2940

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

276 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot