Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree 3.2.6 FATAL ERROR: Server unexpectedly closed network connection

chrisharshman November 15, 2019

Hello,

Whenever I try and clone anything through Sourcetree 3.2.6 it outputs this error, on any computer. However, I can access the repositories through the command line just fine.

"git -c filter.lfs.smudge= -c filter.lfs.required=false -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false --no-optional-locks clone --branch master git@bitbucket.org:company/project.git D:\Dev\Repos\project
Cloning into 'D:\Dev\Repos\project'...
FATAL ERROR: Server unexpectedly closed network connection
fatal: early EOF
fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly
fatal: index-pack failed

Completed with errors, see above."

I have run out of steps to try and fix this, my Google-Fu has failed thus far.

3 answers

1 vote
Sarah Bailey March 2, 2020

Did you find a fix for this?

chrisharshman March 2, 2020

Not yet, it seems to be better now a little bit but if you just keep retrying it eventually goes through, it only happens on the first clone.

You can also pull the Repo via command line and then hook it up in SourceTree, I have been doing that for now when it happens.

Sarah Bailey March 3, 2020

Yes, git bash command line works.

Through Sourcetree, it seems to throw the error only for our large project. The Sourcetree clone operation works for all other (regular-sized) projects.

I've found that it does work in Sourcetree if you change the clone depth to 1 (under Advanced Options > Clone depth). This is a git "shallow" clone, which lets you pull down just the latest commits, not the entire repo history. A depth of 1 copies only the latest revision of a repo.

I've also read something about changing the git http.postBuffer size, but I haven't explored that. We're using SSH, so I'm not sure if that has any impact. 

Like # people like this
chrisharshman March 3, 2020

I will give that a try next time I encounter this problem.

freelensia May 11, 2020

Just to let you guys know, we had the same problem but changing clone depth to 1 did not help. Our repo size is around 300MB.

It turns out the issue is that folder that we clone into did not exist. We had to create on Windows. We also tried https://crypted2.com/2018/01/06/fix-sourcetree-git-over-ssh/

Not sure which one fixed the problem.

Like # people like this
durval.pires July 13, 2020

@Freeh you saved my life, the one that did it was the putty reinstall. Thank youuuu

Like # people like this
0 votes
Harikrishna.Pasavala1 November 21, 2023

Hi, I am also getting same error and tried above solution, but it didn't work for me. Can any one help me on this ?

git -c filter.lfs.smudge= -c filter.lfs.required=false -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false --no-optional-locks clone --branch master git@git.ng.bluemix.net:**********/wcs9.git C:\wcs9
Cloning into 'C:\wcs9'...
FATAL ERROR: Server unexpectedly closed network connection
fetch-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed
Completed with errors, see above.

0 votes
Danish Nazir Arain December 29, 2021

@Sarah Bailey You are a life saver. Who knew updating Putty will work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events