It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sourcetree 3.1.2 is murdering my Macbook battery Edited

So the current version of Sourcetree is absolutely hammering my battery life. Is anyone else experiencing this, is there a reason? A fix?

I noticed it after enabling pipelines for our new serverless repo and I've been watching the usage while writing this, hasn't dipped below 40. My battery dropped 40% in an hour.

Edit: assuming related to this 

image.pngimage.png

2 answers

2 votes
bgannin Atlassian Team Apr 14, 2019

Hi @Richard Cane,

They aren't related, the Windows and Mac apps are entirely different 😀

That said, the performance spike is related to enabling Pipelines most likely, as you noted. Disabling the Build Status column should drop the performance impact down. We know this isn't good and plan on addressing in a future release.

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree

Hey Brian,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've hidden the build status column as instructed and it's had no effect, though I've noticed it might just have an anxious disposition. Whatever causes this energy usage appears to only occur when the Sourcetree app is in the foreground.

I don't remember, but I must have had Sourcetree open in the meeting where my battery went spiralling. I don't know if there's a more scientific way to gather metrics for this, I'd be happy to if you can tell me :)

Haha love the title... whenever my macbook makes weird noises and gets loud, sourcetree is to be blamed. I've been using source tree for about 4 years... there has been no performance changes it still murders your macbook.

The current version seems fine for me, if I watch my activity monitor I sometimes very briefly see the actual usage spike while it does something, but the average usage is as low as I'd expect it to be now.

(I'm using v4.0.1 (234) and have the build monitor column hidden. Sourcetree is usually running all the time with at least one repo open)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,895 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you