Sourcetree 3.1.2 is murdering my Macbook battery

Richard Cane April 12, 2019

So the current version of Sourcetree is absolutely hammering my battery life. Is anyone else experiencing this, is there a reason? A fix?

I noticed it after enabling pipelines for our new serverless repo and I've been watching the usage while writing this, hasn't dipped below 40. My battery dropped 40% in an hour.

Edit: assuming related to this 

image.pngimage.png

4 answers

2 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2019

Hi @Richard Cane,

They aren't related, the Windows and Mac apps are entirely different 😀

That said, the performance spike is related to enabling Pipelines most likely, as you noted. Disabling the Build Status column should drop the performance impact down. We know this isn't good and plan on addressing in a future release.

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree

Richard Cane April 15, 2019

Hey Brian,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've hidden the build status column as instructed and it's had no effect, though I've noticed it might just have an anxious disposition. Whatever causes this energy usage appears to only occur when the Sourcetree app is in the foreground.

I don't remember, but I must have had Sourcetree open in the meeting where my battery went spiralling. I don't know if there's a more scientific way to gather metrics for this, I'd be happy to if you can tell me :)

1 vote
sorinvasilescu January 27, 2021

Still murdering it in 2021, I'm afraid. :)

Somehow, even though CPU usage is unnoticeable on my i9 MacBook 16, it determines the CPU to boost a lot higher and to use up more power.

And this happens when just sitting apparently idle in the background.

Check out these graphs, see how they suddenly drop in the middle? That's Sourcetree being closed down. :)Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 23.20.00.png

Chris H (OG) April 8, 2021

Can confirm, 2021, Sourcetree is eating up more battery than anything else. Even more than Docker!!!
Somethings not right.

afenn May 12, 2021

Same here. Any update on this?

Looks like @bgannin has left Atlassian

0 votes
Les Servantez January 12, 2022

I have not encountered such a problem. I think you have a battery quality problem. Apps are not supposed to aggravate battery performance. Maybe there is a problem with your computer's operating system. I suggest that you take your computer to a diagnostic service. You may need to replace the battery if possible for your model. I had to replace the battery on my phone because it overheated while charging. Initially, I thought it was impossible to save the situation, but it turned out to be a fixable problem. I found a service on the Internet https://batterywill.com/best-samsung-galaxy-note-4-battery-replacement/, which was just engaged in replacing batteries. By contacting the service center on time, I prolonged the life of my phone.

sorin.vasilescu January 12, 2022
  1. There's been some time since this issue has been reported, so it might not even be relevant anymore. I, for one, don't think can reproduce it anymore
  2. The observations are being made on the same machine, with the same battery, so good or bad as the battery might be, the impact is there
  3. You have power consumption graphs in my answer, I'm unsure what more you need. The CPU is driven to boost higher and consume more power when Sourcetree is opened, even if it's in background
Gaurav Marathe January 17, 2022

My Macbook pro m1 battery gets used upto 30 percent in 8 hours of work daily if I dont open sourcetree on a clean start , however I loose 1 % a minute if I open sourcetree and close it after using it even with force quit.

0 votes
bilal mirza March 4, 2020

Haha love the title... whenever my macbook makes weird noises and gets loud, sourcetree is to be blamed. I've been using source tree for about 4 years... there has been no performance changes it still murders your macbook.

Richard Cane March 4, 2020

The current version seems fine for me, if I watch my activity monitor I sometimes very briefly see the actual usage spike while it does something, but the average usage is as low as I'd expect it to be now.

(I'm using v4.0.1 (234) and have the build monitor column hidden. Sourcetree is usually running all the time with at least one repo open)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events