You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
I have a simple but bugging problem: I fisrt tried to push files into a Git repository from my SourceTree, but mistyped my Username. Now SourceTree won't allow me to change the incorrect Username when I try to push my work into my Git repository, and so the files will not push.
Thanks in advance!
Did you try the "Authentication" tab under Tools>Options, you can modify information of saved users there.
Doesn't work for me. I've so far found no way to restore my correct username. Under Tools->Options->Authentication, both the Saved Passwords and Default User Names are empty - all deleted. I updated the global user.name but it is nowhere to be seen. When I try to Pull the current branch, I get the Authenticate dialog with username "git" which cannot be altered, along with a password entry box.
BTW, the command line works fine. "git fetch origin" and "git pull" complete without error.
git config --global user.name "NewUserName"
git config --global user.email "firstname.lastname@example.org"
Thanks for your answer - I changed my username in global settings as you suggested (from my SourceTree terminal), and I checked using
git config --list
that it did indeed change. I restarted both SourceTree and my computer.
However, when I drive the "push" command, and SourceTree asks me for authentication, I am stuck with the old username, and my work still won't push :S
I also tried changing username "locally" with
git config user.name "NewUserName"
with the same result.
I actually had the settings correct, but what fixed the issue for me on Windows 10 was closing out the tab for the project in Sourcetree and then simply opening it again via the "+" button. Once I did that, the account that was associated with the commits (indicated above the text area for commit message) was shows the correct account (which was already set as my default)
YMMV, but it might be fixed to the account until you close that tab out and reopen it.
Version: 3.2.6 on Windows 10