SourceTree will no longer start Edited

SourceTree on my workstation was recently updated - currently version 2.3.1.   Although I didn't explicitly update it, I know it was updated because the icon changed on my task bar.

Now, since the last reboot, when I try to start SourceTree, nothing happens.

Looking into sourcetree.log, the following is logged:   (As you can see it's getting a NullReferenceException and quitting)

What do I do?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can lend.

Mel

( I've edited this point 3 times now to update things, and now it says SPAM??  Really?  It is NOT spam.   I need a resolution to this problem. )

--------------------

ERROR [2017-09-18 20:25:41,868] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-18 20:25:41,968] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
   at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
   at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
   at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
   at SourceTree.Configuration.WpfSpellCheckerPreFlightCheck.Run()
   at SourceTree.AppRoot.RunPreFlightChecks()
   at SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at SourceTree.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)

2 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Mike Corsaro Atlassian Team Sep 19, 2017

Hello! This is a known issue. Please navigate to the config file location (C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_{RANDOM_GUID}\2.3.1.0\user.config) and find the following line:

<setting name="AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles" serializeAs="String"> 
<value>True</value>
</setting>

Make sure that value is set to True

Thanks!   I added this and the problem went away.

After I added this line it worked. Thank

I had the same issue - I couldn't get SourceTree 2.3.1.0 to start even after doing a full clean install.  

The "AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles" line wasn't in my user.config.  I added it and now I can open SourceTree. 

Another +1 on this (Windows 10 Pro + ST 2.3.1.0) ... had to add the line and then it worked.

I added this and the application opened again, but when I returned to the user.config file, the lines I added were removed by SourceTree again... am I going to have to keep setting this? Why is it getting cleared?

Thanks! Adding this setting solved for me (Win 10 16299.15, SourceTree 2.3.1.0) 👍

Worked for me. But guys, please fix this problem. I just wasted about 1.5 hours trying to find the solution.

0 vote

Hi everyone! As an update for this topic, we have just started the progressive rollout of Sourcetree v2.3.5.0 which includes a fix for this issue. You should be prompted to upgrade sometime over the next 14 days or, alternatively, you can download the update directly from https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-2.3.5.0.exe

Cheers :)

Ana

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

546 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you