It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

SourceTree says 'No url found for submodule path'

Every time I pull from github I see this

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree submodule update --init

fatal: No url found for submodule path 'APP NAME' in .gitmodules

Completed with errors, see above

This started happening suddenly. The project has no submodules. This doesn't occur with command-line git, only with source tree. I'm on version 2.6.1 on MacOS 10.12.6

How do I resolve this error?

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal Atlassian Team Aug 23, 2017

Hi Cliff, looks like you might have some .gitmodules directory somewhere within your repo. If you have no submodules, delete .gitmodules, and any references to submodules in .git/config.

I also found a couple of posts where users seem to have a similar issue, you can check their responses at No submodule mapping found in gitmodule for a path that's not a submodule and No submodule mapping found in gitmodules for path.

Let us know if that helped you!

Cheers,

Ana

Hi Ana, thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that there is no .gitmodules folder present within .git nor any references to submodules within .git/config

I checked with the following commands:

bash-3.2$ cd .git

bash-3.2$ find . |grep odules

bash-3.2$ grep -i odules config

I'm curious that this only happens when using SourceTree and not when using the command-line tools.

Update: I found this!

bash-3.2$ git ls-files --stage | grep 160000

160000 b06580880c5eaf8b1564f74c30d595bc6a363a13 0 APPNAME

I performed 

bash-3.2$ git rm --cached APPNAME and the error was fixed. 

Like Arthy likes this

Cliff's solution worked for me too. Thanks Cliff!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,962 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you