Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root


1 badge earned


Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!


Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.


Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!


SourceTree says 'No url found for submodule path'

Every time I pull from github I see this

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree submodule update --init

fatal: No url found for submodule path 'APP NAME' in .gitmodules

Completed with errors, see above


This started happening suddenly. The project has no submodules. This doesn't occur with command-line git, only with source tree. I'm on version 2.6.1 on MacOS 10.12.6

How do I resolve this error?

2 answers

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
Aug 23, 2017

Hi Cliff, looks like you might have some .gitmodules directory somewhere within your repo. If you have no submodules, delete .gitmodules, and any references to submodules in .git/config.

I also found a couple of posts where users seem to have a similar issue, you can check their responses at No submodule mapping found in gitmodule for a path that's not a submodule and No submodule mapping found in gitmodules for path.

Let us know if that helped you!



Hi Ana, thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that there is no .gitmodules folder present within .git nor any references to submodules within .git/config

I checked with the following commands:

bash-3.2$ cd .git

bash-3.2$ find . |grep odules

bash-3.2$ grep -i odules config

I'm curious that this only happens when using SourceTree and not when using the command-line tools.

Update: I found this!

bash-3.2$ git ls-files --stage | grep 160000

160000 b06580880c5eaf8b1564f74c30d595bc6a363a13 0 APPNAME


I performed 

bash-3.2$ git rm --cached APPNAME and the error was fixed. 


Like # people like this

Cliff's solution worked for me too. Thanks Cliff!

I had this same problem -- it showed up suddenly, and I have no submodules (and no .gitmodules). Cliff's solution above did not work for me.

I found that (somehow) one of our developers had created and checked-in an empty folder in the root of the repo that shared the same name as the repo itself. ie, my repo is named "ISTE" and, somehow I ended up with the empty folder blah/ISTE/ISTE/ 

Git appeared to be interpreting that folder as a reference to the repo, creating some kind of recursive loop. Again, I have no idea how that folder was created, so I don't know how git was mislead... 

But, removing that folder from git resolved the issue for me. (To be specific, I first added a dummy file to the folder so that git would recognize an edit, and changed the name of the folder to try to decouple the weirdness; I committed and pushed those changes, then deleted the folder and dummy file and committed & pushed again. All was well after that.)


Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events