Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree on Windows is not prompting for password when connecting to git repository.

Andrew Fillebrown October 21, 2015

I have several private repositories on my own server that I connect to from Windows machines with password authentication. Today, I cannot connect to them because SourceTree is not showing the Username/Password dialog anymore. I can connect when using the system git from the command line and when using the git bash that pops up when pressing the "Terminal" button in SourceTree, so I know everything is fine on my git server. I can also connect from OSX machines using SourceTree, but they use SSH authentication instead of password authentication.

I ran Askpass.exe separately and it shows the dialog correctly and returns the password, but it doesn't show when it should in SourceTree.

I downgraded SourceTree to 1.6.14 but it doesn't show the password dialog now, either.

I also tried setting up an SSH key with SourceTree's Putty, but that didn't work, either.

Any ideas?

3 answers

3 votes
Libor Nenadál April 7, 2016

Have same issue on Win 7 & SourceTree 1.8.3. It does not ask for password and fails immediately with "FATAL ERROR: Server unexpectedly closed network connection". Git from command line works and asks for password. Removal of credentials did not help.

Akul Bhatnagar September 3, 2017

The only thing that worked for me was navigating to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree and removing the passwd file.

Like olexandrbohuslavskyi likes this
tyrambo September 7, 2017

Thanks! This is the only thing that worked for me....apparently this is a two-year old bug

emylee August 9, 2018

Bug is still very much alive. You saved me after an hour of googling and reinstalling. Jeff Andrew, there was nothing in `Tools > Options > Authentication` except my Atlassian login, not my ssh login for my private server. This stinks!

olexandrbohuslavskyi May 11, 2021

After almost 4 years @Akul Bhatnagar 's solution still works

0 votes
ddennis_dk December 3, 2019

Tools > Options > Authentication

I had to delete the account and re-enter username password. Before it worked. Simply updating password did not work

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 3, 2015

Hi Andrew,

You may want to try clearing the credentials out of SourceTree if they are cached there. This can be done under Tools > Options > Authentication

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events