SourceTree loading windows profile as a repo

Colton McClaflin May 18, 2017

When I open SourceTree since updating to the current version (moved from an old 1.x version to the current 2.x), it tries to load my windows profile as a repo, and shows all of the files in it as unstaged files. SourceTree freezes and I can't really do much in it. If I close the 'repo', it seems to start responding better, but is still extremely sluggish. But then every time I open SourceTree, I get the same thing, I have tried re-installing and deleting the config file from AppData.

How do I resolve this? 

2 answers

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2017

Hi Colton

It is likely that somewhere above SourceTree, in the folder tree %localappdata%\SourceTree, you have a .git file or folder or a .hg file or folder.

SourceTree supports functionality allowing you to open a repository in SourceTree by running sourcetree.exe in a folder within a repo, it will then walk back up the folder tree looking for .git or .hg files or folders.

It sounds like this is what is happening. If so moving/deleting the .git/.hg file/folder should fix the problem.

Colton McClaflin May 31, 2017

Michael Minns - you are a total rockstar. There was a .git folder sitting in the root of my windows profile. Moved it to another location as a backup, opened SourceTree, and all is well now! Thank you SO much! :)

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2017

Hi Colton! This issue could be caused because the older version of SourceTree was not removed correctly. To move to the latest version of SourceTree it is necessary to uninstall 1.x and manually download and install 2.x from www.sourcetreeapp.com.

If after doing that SourceTree is still not working properly, you can try and Wipe SourceTree preferences

Let me know if this worked for you!

Cheers,

Ana

Colton McClaflin May 23, 2017

I uninstalled SourceTree and ensured that there were no other copies still installed on my windows machine. I then followed the steps outline to wipe my SourceTree Preferences. I am unfortunately still experiencing this issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events