Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree is very slow on samba share

tuunixjukka April 26, 2016

Okay, I have been reading so much. And this slowness is killing me, it's getting worse and worse on every update.

SourceTree 1.8.3.0, ssh clien: Putty

I have Windows 7 64 SP1 Bit. 16GB RAM, SSD (C:) + 2TB HD(D:). Everything else works fast as a rocket.

The php development is in vmware virtual pc(Player), Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS. Windows is using ubuntu's var/www with smbd and share as a same username / password that my windows is logged in.

I've done

git config --global core.preloadindex true
git config --global core.fscache true
git config --global gc.auto 256

Didn't help

I've inspected this with procmon and made already some tweaks.

I have disabled windows 7 share cache that it seemed to read lot even when there should not have been any files.

procmon log you can find here, size 11mb csv:

http://wikisend.com/download/897526/Logfile222.CSV

This is only refresh of a repo. 2 tabs open, 13 favorities.

I do have some wrong git client in use. I remember when i installed it i had some problems with the git protocol. Where can i check what version st is using?

So what to do? I'm loosing my nerves here! Every click freezes the gui for 2 minutes! Expect when I use a repo from my d-drive, then its just couple seconds.

2 answers

0 votes
tuunixjukka April 27, 2016

This answer is not really helping me!

I read that others have changed to tortoisegit or so because of this.

And the repo is in virtual macihne, not in lan or so, speed should be superfast!

I know there might be problem in my setup that is causing this.

I have git's client, mingw32 git and so on. Maybe they are incorrect versions and causing the slowness?

Already have tested by disabling avast (and added whitelist folders) but that wasn't it.

Before, with old versions the sourcetree worked faster but it has gone slower and slower.

Here is an image of git bash and sourcetree "commandline"

https://snag.gy/eV4Tk3.jpg

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2016

Git is not designed to manage a local repository over a network share. There have been many questions over the years about similar problems on a variety of types of network shares. Some people seem to get it to work ok, but many do not.

The general recommendation is to have your local repository reside on local storage, and treat repositories on other servers as remotes.

To answer your question about the Git version - use the terminal button in SourceTree to launch your Git command line environment, then run 

git --version

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events