It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

SourceTree is missing launch shortcuts Edited

This seems like such an obvious thing that I can find literally nothing about this on the internet.

So, I installed SourceTree. I closed it, and now I want to start it again. There is no shortcut in the start menu, no tile on the start menu, it's not in the 'Recently added' of start menu, and not in the context menu of repositories.

I know it's installed for a fact because when I go to Window Settings/Apps & features then it's listed there with an uninstall button.

I found the exe in %LocalAppData%\Sourcetree but I really doubt this is the intended way to launch it.

44 answers

Under Window 10 you can manually add shortcut to start menu as follows:

Open explorer window and type the following location in the address bar:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

Make new directory named 'Atlassian' and enter directory.

Right-click mouse and select 'New->Shortcut'

Browse to Sourcetree install location : C:\Users\%username\AppData\Local\SourceTree
Select the executable: Sourcetree.exe

Done .-

Alternatively here is a powershell script that will do it (run it as current user):

$objShell = New-Object -ComObject ("WScript.Shell")
$menu_path = $env:USERPROFILE + "\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\"
New-Item -Path $menu_path -Name "Atlassian" -ItemType "directory"
$objShortCut = $objShell.CreateShortcut($menu_path + "Atlassian\SourceTree.lnk")
$app_path = $env:USERPROFILE + "\AppData\Local\SourceTree\Sourcetree.exe"
$objShortCut.TargetPath= $app_path
$objShortCut.Save()

A true saint

Thanks so much! This helped solve the issue for me :) Just a note for a small typo:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\SourceTree

Like Jonathan Kong likes this

2020.02.18: Still needed!  So thanks a lot!!

Like egibbins likes this

Wouldn't it be awesome if the Setup program could do this for us? <wink>

Like # people like this

This is a horrible bug. I'm using this software because a tutorial is using it, but the second I'm done I'm uninstalling it. If you can't organize your own software onto my machine, why in the world would I trust you to organize my software in development?

Like Prem_Patel likes this

Hey ... welcome to 1992 when this was standard practice ... you know, once you install something you need to run it. Seriously? Just manually add a shortcut?!? And the fact that it's a windows app and buried in the many folder layers under appdata folder, that's invisible by default BTW, you can't even easily find it. Really? Wow. I've been developing code since '86. This is an experience of inexperience. Totally Agile! Ship what you got. Let the customer live through a lack of basic development decisions. Love it! Thanks!

Like Corvin likes this
Dustin_00 I'm New Here Jun 10, 2020

2.5 years on and this is still needed.

Wow.

I just downloaded the latest as of Aug 12, 2020.  Shortcuts still not being created. 

Hi,

I have the same problem. After being installed, Source Tree will not show up (Menu, Shortcuts). Only in Settings > Installed apps. And when I open search and paste " %localappdata%\Sourcetree\Sourcetree.exe", the program opens.

Thanks for this Pedro.  How crazy is the problem.  And how come it hasn't been fixed if there are still so many of us having the issue?

Like # people like this

Thanks. How can I find %localappdata% on Windows 10?

minnsey Atlassian Team Dec 19, 2019

Just paste it into the address bar of Windows Explorer and hit return, it will resolve the Environment variable and show you the real location

Atlassian has been investigating this since Feb 27, 2018 lol? I had the same issue, running SourceTree v3.3.6 on Windows 10 v1903 (OS Build 18362.535). I reinstalled multiple times, including clearing the AppData\Local files. I worked around it by just pinning the app to Start on first run.

Like # people like this

I can confirm...  All the way in 2020 now, and still not fixed. Guess Atlassian has little love for Windows.

Like Elisabeth_FELIX-GOUTAL likes this

I just spent way too much time looking for SourceTree.exe so I could launch this software. If I didn't have to use it for work I would never touch this app again. I don't understand how such a fundamental flaw has been overlooked for so long.

Like # people like this

I experienced the same issue. Request the maintainer to please look into this urgently. 

I am also facing the same issue. Just spent time googling to figure out where is source tree. Please address this fundamental issue .

@Pedro Raimundo , 

Thank you for this :) 

Thanks for the notes here - I ran/reran the install a couple of times, was about to give up.

How about... at the download link, include a note that no shortcut will be made and where to find the app to pin it?

Hi guys,

I'm having the same problem. The solution I found is the following: (if you installed using the default path): 

1. Local Disk C

2. Users

3. click on your user profile (not Admin/Public).

4. AppData

5. Local

6. SourceTree

and here you should have the app luncher called "SourceTree".

*If you cannot see the AppData folder then click above on the VIEW and make sure that Hidden Items it's checked.

Like sadeeptha likes this

I installed SourceTree 3.3.8 on a fresh Windows 10 machine today.

It's quite unbelievable that it doesn't create any shortcuts or start menu entries. It doesn't even show up when searching from the start menu.

Having to somehow know that you have to go find this app in your Local App Data folder to get it back is just nonsense.

Like # people like this
endasil I'm New Here Apr 03, 2020

If this company is unable to succeed with a simple task like adding their program to the start menu, why should i trust them? Uninstalled and used github instead. Finally a software that works!

I used to like sourcetree, but this silliness renders it beyond the robust version control gui I need. Uninstalled and using github desktop. Much better.

I have the same issue.  No shortcut, does not show when you search for 'sourcetree' on the start menu.  It shows on control panel etc, where you can uninstall.  Had to go to the folder where it installed to create a short cut.  Very often not a good thing to do. 

Push "Like" if you subscribed to this thread just because want to know how many years Atlassian will be investigating how to create not missing shortcut for they program :D

1 vote
minnsey Atlassian Team Feb 27, 2018

Hi

During install a shortcut should be created, we will investigate further why it might not get created.

Uninstalling and re-installing usually corrects this, but if you don't want to do that you can manually create a new shortcut to %localappdata%\Sourcetree\Sourcetree.exe

1. Uninstalling and re-installing doesn't correct, I still get no start item.

2. I can't even use C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SourceTree\SourceTree.exe, I have to use SourceTreeSetup-3.3.6.exe

3. I have to exit and enter SourceTree everytime I switch branches

4. My company is using Atlassian Bitbucket so I wanted to use SourceTree.

Like Adrian Babilinski likes this
ulas I'm New Here Mar 23, 2020

So, after more than 2 years, now is that investigation going? ...

reinstallng sourceTree also doesnot fix this issue. i see is posted in feb , but still i m getting this issue in my machine.

what is fix to this issue.

minnsey Atlassian Team Nov 07, 2018

Are the Sourcetree files being installed to  %localappdata%\Sourcetree ?

The same problem.
I have installed program, launched it and it worked. But after closing the program there are no any shortcuts. 
Reinstalling does not help.
Windows 10.

The same problem.
I have installed program, launched it and it worked. But after closing the program there are no any shortcuts. 
Reinstalling does not help.

WIN7 64bit

Like John Wygonski likes this

Same problem
1. No SourceTree start item

2. I have to run SourceTreeSetup.3.3.6.exe to start sourcetree

3. I have to exit and enter source tree everytime I switch branches

The issue of having to exit and enter source tree every time I switch branches was solved by uninstalling 3.3.6 and installing 3.3.4

Found the SourceTree.exe application under C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\SourceTree.

Right-click on the item and select "Pin to Start" and/or "Pin to taskbar".

Just wanted to drop by and make note that I have no Start Menu entry at all. Searching doesn't even pick up the launcher on the computer, only the installer. How has this not be corrected in 2 years? I'm glad I do most of my work on my Mac

1 vote

I am having the same problem here. A bit annoying.

bump. more than 2 years for a shortcut fix for real?

I also have this same problem

The same problem. No shortcut. God knows where it is...

I have the same problem. On Windows 7. I have also tried reinstalling and it doesn't fix the problem. When I click the Start button and search for SourceTree, the program is not found.

Had the same problem as those above. I got tired of trying to find the program and ended up pinning it to my task bar.

I also encountered this issue on a fresh windows 10 install. reinstalling sourcetree does not help. could it be that hard to create a shortcut? its been almost a year since this was filed for the first time...

me too,it made me really confused....

Is there a fix to this yet?

Hey,

I have this problem atm.

New PC, just installed Windows 10 Home OEM.

Downloaded sourcetree from website and installed it.

It doesn't show up in start>search, no shortcuts.

This PC has latest version of Windows 10 11/2019 and the system language/locale is set to Dutch.

Press Windows+R and type %localappdata% and looking for folder name "SourceTree" into this folder right then right click SourceTree.exe > Send to > desktop (create shortcut)

So you can see SourceTree icon on desktop name "SourceTree - Shortcut" you can rename it whatever you want.

Good luck for fix by this way ;)

Like # people like this

Just reporting that I too have the same issue. Uninstalling and reinstalling does not fix the issue. I have even deleted all Atlassian and SourceTree files in AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming directories.

wow.  out of the box failure. 

A simple global search for sourcetree.exe located the file.

Happy hunting.

Issue also showed up for me.

I just wanted to add that I installed Sourcetree on two very different Windows 10 machines (at work and at home) this week and both failed to add any icons or shortcuts.

The issue still persists as per Jan 2020 on Windows 10.

This issue just happened to me too.

Wow. Guys at atlassian responcible for sourcetree installation, if there is reward for worlds worst app installation it is yours. After i installed it there is literally no sign of it in system. If someone had installed it on my pc i wouldnt know of its existence. No desktop shortcut, no launch menu shortcut, not even mention in quick search!!! Congrats. You really dont want to earn money.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,895 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you