SourceTree initial setup fails on login (403)

WSB ATW April 5, 2016

Today I was trying to setup SourceTree on a co-workers machine.

While we were able to start the install without issue, when we got to the screen that requires you to log into Atlassian she kept getting a 403 error. The URL from the embedded instance of IE was res://ieframe.dll/http_403_webOC.htm#https://id.atlassian.com/login?application=sourcetree

We were able to log in via Chrome without issue, but as soon as we switched over to IE we got this same error on login. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the IE install.

We attempted to login via Google, as well as via an Atlassian user account.

Is there a way to skip this step of the process so we can proceed, or perhaps have it use a different browser? (IE is not set to the default browser on the machine.)

Thanks!

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
WSB ATW April 6, 2016

In case it helps others, it turns out her Privacy settings in IE (11.current) were set too high.

Internet Options > Privacy > Default (button)

That was enough to get them from High to Medium, and allowed her to log in.

Didn't even think to check these.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2016

Very helpful. I'm sure I'll be linking others to this the next time the issue crops up.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2016
James Skemp April 7, 2016

Awesome. Thanks again Seth!

2 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2016

You might try to connect to id.atlassian.com directly in IE, and log in, then try the installation again.

James Skemp April 6, 2016

Same 403 error after logging in.

More information details:

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.
For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

Outside of initial install issues with one of our other designers, she was able to login without issue.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2016

I'd advise you to check the computer's settings to make sure it isn't using a proxy. I've seen repeated reports of users unable to complete that step of the install who were behind proxies.

WSB ATW April 6, 2016

Thanks for your help troubleshooting, Seth! Turns out it was an issue with too high of privacy settings.

0 votes
James Skemp April 6, 2016

We also tried again this morning on her machine, both before and after clearing all cookies. I'm waiting to get local admin access to another computer to try on that, as well as another designer's machine.

0 votes
WSB ATW April 6, 2016

1.8.3 (Windows).

We don't appear to be behind a proxy server. This morning I was able to login on a different machine without issue.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2016

What version of SourceTree did you install? Are you behind a proxy server?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events