SourceTree incorrectly shows a large text file as binary, doesn't do diff Edited

I have a large XML file stored in Git (GitHub) repo.

[user@host tools]$ ls -lh somefile.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 user users 1.6M Jul 19 17:25 somefile.xml
[user@host tools]$ file somefile.xml
somefile.xml: XML document, UTF-8 Unicode text, with very long lines

By default SourceTree for Windows is not showing diff for this file in any commit.

It shows a message "No changes in this file have been detected, or it is a binary file".

But when I go to Options / Diff and change Size Limit (Text) from the default 1024KB to something larger than the above file size (ie. 10240KB) then it shows the diff correctly.

The default error message shown for this file is misleading, because it not a binary nor an unchanged file. SourceTree should warn that this file is too large to show a diff using current settings. Also it should correctly detect UTF-8 files, if it makes any problems for Git.

I'm using SourceTree 2.1.2.5 on Windows 7, with NTFS filesystem.

1 answer

1 votes

Hi Przemyslaw, I've created a Feature request on your behalf to improve the messaging shown in this case, you can find it at SRCTREEWIN-7627.

For the future, you're welcome to submit your own suggestions at jira.atlassian.com by clicking on the Create button

Hope this helps!

Ana

is this fixed? Because, after I take an update ..i still see this issue... if not is there any timeline.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

245 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot