Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree hangs periodically on Mac

farrell_edwards January 16, 2014

SourceTree hangs periodically for me. Sometimes when pushing to remote. Sometimes when committing local. Sometimes when staging files for commit. Once it even hung when I was clicking on a file to see a diff. It is an indefinite hang and requires a force-quit.

I am more and more troubled, worried that it's going to screw up my local or remote repo. Anyone else seeing this?

SourceTree v1.8.0.3

git v1.8.4.2

MacOS v10.8.4

6 answers

0 votes
Josh Sutterfield October 27, 2016

I suggest looking to see if you have an instance of FileMerge open, or maybe some other diff tool. If so, CMD-Q it and see if that ends the hang. That was my problem. The hang doesn't happen right away but once I do a diff, if I come back to SourceTree it's always blocked until I kill the diff application (closing the diff window isn't sufficient).

0 votes
Josh Sutterfield October 27, 2016

This happened very for me as well but I just realized the last time was because I had done an External Diff! On repeated retries I see the pattern:

1. SourceTree doesn't immediately hang but does within 5 seconds or so
  2. SourceTree continues to hang while FileMerge is running, even if I close the diff window
  3. SourceTree resumes once I fully quit FileMerge.

0 votes
Lorne Kelly October 17, 2016

Happened for me on very first use - going back to command line

0 votes
Julian B January 20, 2014

My SourceTree does the same.. at least one time a day when I go back to it.

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2014

Hey Farrell,

Could you open up a ticket on jira.atlassian.comand provide as much detail as possible? We can then track it from here as anything in JIRA is what the developers look at.

Cheers

Like Nick likes this
Sam Kalat March 18, 2014

I have some information about this issue that I would really like to provide, including a hang report. However I can't get to this JIRA issue when I'm logged in, and I can't comment on it when I'm logged out. (I get "An error occurred while attempting to fulfill your request." when logged in.)

That in itself seems to be an unresolved problem?

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/185800/error-when-updating-profile-using-atlassian-id

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/274655/how-do-i-get-atlassian-id-to-work-for-jira-atlassian-com

I'm not sure how to open a bug for being unable to open (or edit) a bug, so I'm at a loss for where to comment about the SourceTree hang.

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2014

I've seen the same issue, but haven't been able to track down a solution. I've only experienced it when coming back to SourceTree and trying to interact with the application, I then need to force quit and it's good to go for a while.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events