It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

SourceTree for Linux

Viewing page 3 of 23

553 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Darren Bell Dec 12, 2013

+1 for a Linux client. We're looking at Stash (10-25 users), but will not go for it until there is a Linux client. All Linux devs here.

Ron Elliott Dec 12, 2013
I'm in the same boat, I won't be buying a stash license until a Linux client is made. In fact I'm I'm the process of making one myself, if I get it completed before atlassian does, bye bye atlassian as you guys won't see my businesses again. This is becoming a bit ridiculous, it doesn't take a year to write a Linux git client, I've done it in almost a month.
4 votes
Geoff Hammond Jan 05, 2014

Also +1 for Linux version - I've just moved to Ubuntu and made the assumption that there would be one - I'm a little guttens, as it's one of my primary tools.

Also willing to provide $ - a Kickstarter campaign would certainly raise funds to make this happen quickly...?

4 votes
Jayant Thube Feb 13, 2014

This worked for me,

1) Use virtualization - I have ubuntu as guest on windows 7

2) install source tree in windows, checkout all repos

3) Share the directory with Ubuntu - i use virtualbox and using share folder feature i mount my windows directory that contains all repos into my workspace in ubuntu

4) make sure the share is avaialble always - i changed fstab to mount the folders as if its local to my workspace.

5) I run git command at prompt in ubuntu or using sourcetree in windows and all works seamlessly.

I am not feeling a pressing need for sourcetree in ubuntu now as its very simple and seamless.. Would have loved a native app though.

s i Feb 13, 2014

Er... I run a linux host and I don't have a windows license. I think you have missed the point of why many, many people are asking for a linux version!

Jayant Thube Feb 13, 2014

I get that, still most of people do have windows license and hope this helps them. I am sharing my experiance in hope that people dont just abondon source tree.. its great and its free, let us help expand its use..or we risk stalling its development..never loose hope that one day they will have time and money for a linux port..linux fans are not going to stop asking for it..

Alexander Trauzzi Feb 16, 2014

That's obvious man, everyone knows they can run things in a virtual machine. That generally just goes without saying. The point of this thread is to establish the option where a virtual machine is no longer needed.

Otherwise, why don't we just run everything inside a Windows VM because "it's so easy and now there's no more need". Wait, now why don't we just run Windows?

It gets worse because Atlassian will take your comment over the mountain of requests for a Linux version of Sourcetree and single it out as an example of them having the situation handled.

This is a thread about getting a Sourcetree client for Linux. We aren't interested in VM options.

4 votes
Philip Braica Mar 26, 2014

This is a wonderful. Excellent intuitive piece of software with a great interface. I've been a SW engineer for 18 years, written some good things. This is fluid, easy, and virtually bug free.

It is SHOCKINGLY better than competing products.

That is why a port to Linux would be so awesome.

Where I am, we use git and we are on Windows, Linux and OSX. I switch between the three consistently.

Using sourcetree on OSX and Windows then forced to use something else on Linux makes me sad. It is a beautiful piece of software that should be available on all platforms. It would dominate the market and that is valuable.

All of the reasons not to do this from the start, they make sense, but consider doing this now. Consider owning that market to promote your company and products.

Sincerely,

Phil Braica

4 votes
Victor Polevoy Mar 28, 2014

Maybe they need some donation? Maybe just to believe that A LOT of Linux users wants sourcetree.

4 votes
Chuck Ludwigsen Jun 19, 2014

SourceTree is a source code git management tool. It is not an IDE. I watch this thread to see if Atlassian is showing any signs of hearing or answering our requests. I do not watch this thread to see it hijacked to talk about frameworks or IDE's. I humbly ask you to start your own conversation about the merits of Lazarus.

SourceTree for Linux +1.

Justin Nichols Jun 19, 2014

This. Well said.

Your comment.

4 votes
Dmitry Ryabov Jun 27, 2014

+1 - add my vote as comment

4 votes
Dmitry Nazarov Jun 29, 2014

+1 for linux version -)

4 votes
Heath Aug 13, 2014

Using Ubuntu Desktop full time now, reiterating that SourcTree needs a Linux client.

+1

4 votes
Jurgen Hannaert Sep 28, 2014

An other +1 vote for linux, would pay $100 license...

4 votes
Artem Goryachev Oct 01, 2014

+1 for Linux

4 votes
Piero Donaggio Oct 06, 2014

+1 for a Linux version!!

4 votes
Ross Williams Oct 07, 2014

+1 for Sourcetree for Linux.

4 votes
Huey Percy Newton Oct 10, 2014

+1 for linux(ubuntu). At my job a have mac and ubuntu at home, now I use SmartGitHg for simple operation and command line for tricky.  But as for me ubuntu is more easy and comfort. Please dont force me finaly go with SmartGit )))

4 votes
fperezr Oct 19, 2014

+1 for a Linux client! Thaks smile

4 votes
Valentijn de Bouter Oct 25, 2014

+1 for linux sourcetree!

4 votes
b dev Oct 25, 2014

+1 GNU/Linux

4 votes
Diego Essaya Nov 17, 2014

+1 Linux SourceTree

4 votes
J D Nov 19, 2014

+1 

A Word from Atlassian on this?

Would be great if sourcetree comes for linux.

4 votes
Jan Dietrich Nov 21, 2014

+ 1 for linux

4 votes
Kaveh Shirgir Dec 05, 2014

+1 Linux

4 votes
Marco Albarelli Dec 11, 2014

+1 for a Linux version

Event though I prefer CLI for using git SourceTree seems to be a nice tool and some team members already use it on mac

4 votes
Michelle Fritch Dec 15, 2014

Another vote for the Linux client.

4 votes
Michael85 Dec 16, 2014

+1

3 votes
Anton Afanasyev Mar 26, 2013

persistence++;

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

413 views 0 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you