SourceTree: embedded git can't be automatically installed

When SourceTree 2.3.1.0 tries to install embedded git, it runs into a timeout. That might be my company's firewall.

So I manually typed the indicated address in my browser and it would download the file. However, the place where to put the embedded git directory it is unknown to me.

Questions:

• what is the correct location to put embedded git? Can it be directly copied over or does it need some more installation and making-it-known within SourceTree?
  • For those cases where the download fails, can you offer an easy download possibility (e.g. by making the path in the dialogue at least hightlighteable/copyable by the mouse)? And make the above asked information about the path somehow obvious from within SourceTree?

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi

Yes, Git is a sizeable install :)

Sourcetree installs its copy of Git into %localpaddata%\Atlassian\Sourcetree\git_local and yes you can simple write over the top of it. Do it while Sourcetree and Pagaent/PuTTY are not running though to avoid any issues about overwriting files.

We can certainly look into making that information more easily available.

I'm pretty sure you mean %localappdata% rather than %localpaddata% ;)

Apart from that, it works, thanks!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

883 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you