Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree does not honour Global Ignore List

Stefan Guath December 2, 2015

I have a ~/.gitignore_global file that contains ".DS_Store", with a correct path in ~/.gitconfig (i.e."[core] excludesfile = /Users/myusername/.gitignore_global") in order to find it. This works just as expected in the terminal, i.e. any .DS_Store are successfully ignored.

But in SourceTree, all .DS_Store files causes "Uncommitted changes". Note that in Preferences -> Git, the path to "Global Ignore List" is correct (i.e. "/Users/myusername/.gitignore_global"), so apparently "excludesfile" has been properly consulted in .gitconfig. But still, the Global Ignore List doesn't seem to be honored. What am I doing wrong?

2 answers

0 votes
Stefan Guath December 3, 2015

When entering "git status" in Terminal I get the response: "On branch Foo Your branch is up-to-date with 'Bar'. nothing to commit, working directory clean" But when starting up SourceTree the .DS_Store files still causes "Uncommitted changes". I finally managed to get rid of it by executing various manual operations on the .DS_Store files, such as 'ignore', 'delete' and some others that I don't remember. It seems to work now, but it was a long and strange way of getting there.

0 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2015

Is there any chance that you accidentally "added" the file before putting it on the ignore? If you go to the command line and do a "git status", what does it report?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events