SourceTree commit doesn't do anything

Henry Padilla November 15, 2016

In VSTS I have pulled the master, branched, made a change, staged the change, and clicked Commit and nothing happens.

I tried using a repo in GitHub. I pulled the master, made a change, staged the change and clicked Commit... and nothing happens.

What do I have to do to commit a staged file?

4 answers

2 votes
David Bernstein February 12, 2020

Same issue. 
I have been using the terminal window to issue the commit.
everything else I can do in source tree. 

Francisco Camargo July 13, 2020

Just got Sourcetree on a new laptop and I have the same issue but the terminal has worked to get around this.

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2016

Ok, that's very helpful. TL;DR - Looks like a bug.

Firstly, committing NEVER needs credentials. Commit is a local operation - it does not interact with remote repositories. Now, you're using SourceTree, which has a checkbox to automatically Push, which is a remote-interacting operation, so you may get both grouped together (you don't have that box checked though).

When you say you're pushing the commit button, I assume at this point that you are hitting the bottom-right button to try to actually finalize the commit (as opposed to the top-left button, which brings you to the view in the screenshot). Everything in the screenshot looks right and ready to commit. If the Commit, Commit Options.., and Recent Comment (clock) buttons aren't responding, that's got to be a bug. Nothing about the state of your repo should be preventing SourceTree from doing those operations.

You can report the bug to jira.atlassian.com. Hopefully Atlassian staff will be on top of it, and help you find the application logs they need to identify what's going on.

0 votes
Henry Padilla November 15, 2016

I'm only hosting the Git repo in VSTS. All the actions have been done in SourceTree.

I get the feeling it's asking/waiting for credentials but I can't see any way to get credentials to the app. I tried adding my credentials to the git config but that doesn't change anything.

The "Commit Options..." dropdown and the clock button do the same thing - Just don't respond.

SourceTreeCommit.jpg

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2016

Can you upload a screenshot of SourceTree's current state?

Also, why are you pulling, branching and staging in VSTS, but committing in SourceTree?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events