SourceTree commit author change/update

In SourceTree, how do I update the author that shows in the Author field of the commit UI? it always seems to revert back to a name & email that i don't recall inputting.

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
11 votes

Hi Patrick,

There are two places this could be happening. Firstly you have a global user details setting in SourceTree. This can be found in the SourceTree menu then "Preferences" (or Cmd+,) and you'll see at the top which user details are used.

If these are correct then there are repository-level settings instead allowing you to override the global settings per-repository. You can find these by going to either the "Repository" menu (when the repo window is open) and hitting "Repository Settings" or clicking the "Settings" button on the toolbar of the repository window on the right hand side. Click on the "Advanced" tab and you'll see some further author details. If the checkbox "Use global user settings" is turned off then it'll be using those author details instead.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your response! This helped, though I should mention...

I checked both settings, and both showed identical author name & email, but only when I uncheck "Use global user setting" does the commit author change as expected. And, in order for the "Use global user setting" to work when checked (even though both showed the same info), I needed to edit the Default user info and just re-enter the same info.

Thanks again!

I can confirm this is the case. Version 1.5.2.0 of SourceTree.

You have to clear the "Default User Information" save, then re-type and save before it will update and correctly use this for commits on Repos that are set to use the default info.

Can confirm this behavior on SourceTree version 1.7.0.32059

Issue still exists in 1.9.10.0.  Glad for the workaround mentioned by David. I had to delete my email address from the Default User Information field, apply, open, type in same email address as appeared there before, apply. Now the commit dialog shows the correct info.

Thanks Scott. I had the same issue with 2.0.20.1, and your suggested workaround fixed the problem for me too.

Can confirm - still happening in the version immediately prior to 2.7.1.  I applied the fix concurrent with upgrading, so I can't say if this still exists in 2.7.1.

I can confirm too, it is still happening my version is: 2.4.8.0
What an annoying bug !!! :@ 

Thanks David Scherer,
I got it with your help.

This issue is currently happening in version 2.5.5 also.

Still an issue in 2.6.9. Will it be fixed!?!

2.6.10.0 has the same issue. That is not fun

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

999 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you