SourceTree command line option?

Is it possible to specify a repository to open in a SourceTree command line option? If so, how?

1 answer

Hi Michael,

If you install the command line tools from the SourceTree menu you can then run "stree" from the terminal. Here's the menu:

Hope that helps

i am running the Windows version of SourceTree and do not see a menu command for "Install Command Line Tools". Am I missing something, or is it not available on Windows? If not available, are there plans to implement it for windows?

This isn't supported yet in Windows but isn't actually that hard - you can already launch SourceTree.exe from the command line and it will automatically activate the current instance if there is one - you just can't pass a file path right now (it's only used for the Clone In SourceTree button on Bitbucket right now). Tracking here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-394

Where is SourceTree.exe located? Since it is "click once" doesn't it get located in a different place every time it is installed?

Ah, good point - unfortunately ClickOnce moves it subtly every update (seems to calculate a hash to use in the folder name). You can always see the current location in the registry because of the URL handler hook, if you look under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\sourcetree\shell\open\command

What's about about arguments that I can pass to stree?

+1 for arguments
i want to open the file changes history panel from the command line if possible
or at least find help on any available options

Create a stree.ps1 file in a directory contained in $PATH with this content:

Start-Process "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\SourceTree\SourceTree.exe"  -ArgumentList "-f $((Resolve-Path $args[0]).toString())"

Then you can just call stree . or stree ../relative/path

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

706 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you