Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree automatically refreshes while staging

Li Dong June 27, 2013
Dear all, I use SourceTree everyday, but recently it automatically refreshes the difference view window, while I am staging file. This is very annoying! I need frequently click the file again, again and again. Does anyone encounter this problem? Best, Li

8 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Kirchner October 15, 2020

I have been having this issue for a while now. I am on 4.0.2 and I have unchecked both the global and repo settings to auto refresh but every 30 seconds the branch view refreshes while I am looking at commits. Super annoying. I unchecked everything I can think of and restarted SourceTree. Anyway to stop this refresh?

0 votes
Answer accepted
Li Dong July 2, 2013

I tried a few days, and this problem just gone for now. It may be caused by confliction with other applications.

João José Salgado Serra July 17, 2019

this problem is still appearing to me

Like Ivan Sudakov likes this
Deleted user October 9, 2019

Had the same problem, works now after disabling "Refresh automatically when files change" - version 3.2.1 on Mac.

pix April 29, 2020

same issue, osx catalina, this has been like this the past year on mac, weird thing is, on the ***ty windows 10 this doesnt happen

if i disable and renable the refresh it works and doesnt switch between file status and file history views.. i hope it stays this way.. and not retrigger soon by an app

thx

3 votes
Haydn Dias February 20, 2018

I've also had this issue on Windows 10 64Bit Version 1709, running sourcetree 2.4.8.0, happens with LibGit2 enabled or disabled, using system git 2.16.1 + git-lfs v2.3.4. The Push Changes checkbox on FileStatus gets enabled/disabled constantly (not checked and unchecked). And when this is happening I can't click the commit button unless I spam it sometimes I get lucky, closing and reopening sourcetree sometimes temporarily fixes the issue, I have auto-refresh off

Chris Houston August 4, 2018

I am also experiencing a constant refreshing issue and this has only started in the last couple of updates. Previously it was working seamlessly. 

It can now be almost impossible to commit changes as the file view is constantly refreshing, making it impossible to stage the files. Also the commit button gets disabled and re-enabled every time it refreshes so as someone mentioned above the only way to submit is constantly click it until you get lucky!

i have reverted to using the command line which is really frustrating, if it’s not fixed soon I will need to look for another GIT client. 

Like pix likes this
2 votes
Robbie Dyer December 16, 2015

I'm also having this same issue with SourceTree (2.1) on OS X 10.10.5 (14F1509). If I turn the "Refresh automatically when files change" option to off within preferences the bottom pane containing the lift of files with changes and the selected files contents continues to refresh when the files are changed by another program.

reactive-core March 8, 2016

Same here, refreshing disabled in all settings, and it still refreshes over and over (running on a Mac)

Andrew Kohlsmith February 13, 2019

it's now 2019 and this bug is STILL present.

Like # people like this
Deleted user October 9, 2019

Had the same problem, works now for me after disabling "Refresh automatically when files change" and tried to change files in the repo. Version 3.2.1 on Mac (didn't see anything in the SourceTree update log about it).

2 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2013

Auto-refreshing should only occur if some other application is changing files in your repository, because SourceTree refreshes in response to events from the operating system. Is there something this is frequently saving files in your repository, triggering the refresh?

You can disable auto-refreshing in SourceTree either for a single repository (Settings on the toolbar, Advanced, disable auto-refresh checkbox), or you can do it globally in Preferences (or Tools > Options on Windows), the same 'Auto-refresh when files change' option.

Li Dong June 27, 2013
Hi Steve, I have tried the disabling of auto-refreshing, but the problem persist. Any idea?
Li Dong June 28, 2013

Hi Steve, should I delete SourceTree completely, and install it again? If yes, how to delete it COMPLETELY? Thanks!

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2013

I don't know why this hasn't worked for you, I've tested disabling auto-refreshing here, both in the repository Settings > Advanced (which just affects one repository) and in Tools > Options (which is global), and it definitely prevents SourceTree from auto-refreshing at all. Refreshing only occurs when you press F5 or perform an action like committing or *after* performing a stage (not during).

Uninstalling and re-installing shouldn't make any difference at all, but please do make sure you're running the latest version (currently 1.0.3).

Shawn Fox December 8, 2014

Sure but why would we want to disable the feature completely? It should just work as advertised.

Leonardo Acevedo February 6, 2017

Hi @Steve Streeting, I seems there's a regression on this issue, as I am experiencing the same issue, and no disabling is helping me here.

Damien Jones March 15, 2017

yeah, this makes source tree useless for diffs

Like Ethan Wieczorek likes this
1 vote
Shawn Fox December 8, 2014

As of today I am still seeing this problem.  The only thing running is visual studio but I am not modifying the file.  The diff view isn't stable at all for me.  Disabling the refresh shouldn't be necessary.  It is useful when it works correctly but I can't imagine what is causing the files to change ever 2 or 3 minutes.  The sourcetree diff has become nearly useless with the refresh setting on, and even though I like beyond compare I don't want to have to do an external diff in all cases.  

I'm using version 1.6.11.0 for windows.  By the way, this problem does not happen with Beyond compare.  Beyond compare notifies me when it thinks that the file has changed.  Therefore I'm sure that the file not being changed.

See the image below.  When I clicked off that setting and ran a stop watch for more than 4 minutes I didn't see the problem.  I think that default remotes check resets the log history view every X number of minutes or whatever it is set to regardless of any need to refresh.  While staring at a diff, the diff view just clears out and the first file within the log history is reselected every so often which seems to correspond to that setting.  It doesn't correspond exactly when using a stop watch but it seems to happen within 30 seconds after the x minute mark according to my stop watch.  Why would checking default remotes need to reset the diff view?

image2014-12-8 11:39:2.png

1 vote
Li Dong June 27, 2013
Hi Steve, I have tried the disabling of auto-refreshing, but the problem persist. Any idea?
0 votes
Gary Larson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 5, 2024

I am here in 2024 with the same type of problem. The scenario is I have a file with lots of unstaged changes. If I select that file under Unstaged Files, it will of course show me a list of all the pending changes, in another pane of the SourceTree window. Now if I pick a particular hunk and choose "Stage hunk", the hunk gets staged BUT the file itself becomes deselected under "Unstaged Files" which means the list of all pending changes goes away. So after every single hunk staging, I have to re-select the file in the "Unstaged files" pane. This is pretty disruptive to working efficiently. SourceTree Enterprise Version 3.4.16, Windows 10,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events