SourceTree Terminal does not recognise git after git upgrade

After upgrading git from version 1.9 which worked fine with SourceTree, to the current version of git 2.6.1, and opening the Git Bash Terminal from the link in the SourceTree toolbar, the terminal does not recognise any git commands. Typining "git status" gives the response...

sh: git: command not found.

I have tried uninstalling SourceTree, uninstalling git, re-installing git and then re-installing SourceTree to no avail. Same behaviour. Git Flow has also stopped working.

I opted for gitbash to be the main terminal editor which apparently does not need to change the PATH environment variable - but even so it still cannot see git as if git is not on its path. Also SourceTree Options for git are set to use System Git. The UI displays my branches OK and UI actions seem to work. It's just that the Terminal is broken.

Any help appreciated.

2 answers

"I opted for gitbash to be the main terminal editor" - How were you given this option? Are you confident that the Terminal button is actually launching gitbash?

When installing Git for Windows, opt to allow it to modify your PATH. (The second of three options, not the one to add Git and *nix tools.)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

267 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot