SourceTree Spinner is spinning forever

Just yesterday I thought it's a good day to install the latest version of SourceTree. Fortunately I didn't listen to the message popping up on startup that I should uninstall my older versions...

The reason for this is that the spinner on the left-hand side where there should be a tree view of the current repo is never finishing spinning. This happens on a quite big repo (current size: 1.86GB; due to binaries being stored in there; something we wanna change in the future but didn't have time for just yet). Smaller repos seem to work fine.

screenshot_spinner_eternally.png

Can anyone suggest a workaround to get it going? For now im falling back to version 1.9. But since there has been issued a security advisory by Atlassian I would like to update to the latest version ASAP.

What I've tried so far is to clean out the C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree folder but there was no improvement achieved with that.

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Marcel, you can try Wiping SourceTree preferences, uninstall the current version and install it again. Let me know if this worked for you!

Regards,

Ana

Hi Ana!

Unfortunately this didn't resolve the issue. Do you have any further advice?

Best regards
Marcel

Hi Marcel, there was another user with a similar issue, he removed his repo from SourceTree and cloned it again and it started working. You can see his response here.

Did this work for you?

Cheers :)

Ana

That is merely a workaround - and not a good one I have to say. I have local branches that I cannot throw away just like that. Also my stashes will be lost. This is rather a last resort thing. I will do so eventually if I'm forced to. Nevertheless I would highly appreciate if you could pass this problem on to the developer team so they can look into it so that bug can be fixed in future releases.

I'm having the exact same issue as Marcel. In the mean time I've reinstalled 1.9 but would appreciate an actual fix since, as Marcel documents very well, wiping a repo is not really as easy as simply deleting a few folders :)

Hi! Indeed, that was a workaround whilst the actual fix gets rolled out. I already informed the developers about it, as I mentioned in the other thread :)

Best regards,

Ana

Same problem here. Spinner is spinning forever. Repo has a lot of local branches and some stashes, so I reverted back to 1.9 . 

Same problem here.  I posted another question on this before I saw this post.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

241 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot