You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
I have a repository with a .gitignore file at the root of the repository. On the command line, git uses this file and correctly ignores the files I want ignored. SourceTree does not appear to pick up this file. When I go to commit in SourceTree, files that should be ignored are not ignored.
How can I get SourceTree to reconize the .gitignore file
Maybe this is why:
.gitignore will prevent untracked files from being added (without an
add -f) to the set of files tracked by git, however git will continue to track any files that are already being tracked."
SourceTree uses its own gitignore file. SourceeTree -> Tools -> Options -> Git shows the git ignore file location it uses. You can edit the file from a button in that dialog.
On a laptop, I have seen issues where SourceTree's behavior seems to depend on whether:
1. You are working online (where login and authentication use AD, and a login script runs).
2. You're working "offline", i.e. not logging in and authenticating via the corporate Active Directory, and just using cached credentials, or logging on this way and *THEN* connecting via the corporate VPN)
What appears to happen differently is that the user's "home" location gets changed (at least it did for me). Specifically, the Windows environment variables for HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH (which you can see from a CMD prompt by typing SET and scrolling back through what it outputs).
I have seen this manifest as me making a SourceTree settings change e.g. while at home working offline, then when I've gone to the office and suddenly it stopped working, and when I checked the SourceTree settings in the GUI, sure enough, the setting wasn't right. Eventually I figured out that %HOMEDRIVE% and/or %HOMEPATH% were being used when searching for these files.
This took me a while to finally figure out, and it might not be the specific cause of what you're seeing. But it is definitely something to look for and be aware of, especially if you are working in a corporate IT environment using a laptop.
This is also discussed in the SourceTree JIRA ticket