SourceTree - How to edit a commnt?

I want to edit a comment that was written with "commit" phase.

I know git allow to dothat, so how to do that on SourceTree?

5 answers

In the commit window, check the box at the bottom labelled 'Amend last commit'. You can change the message and also the content if you want, just make sure you haven't pushed the commit to anyone else yet.

So we cannot edit comments if its already pushed?

I understand there is possibility someone else would be using the pushed version, but what if its a private repository. No one expect I is using the repository. Can I edit the comments now?

Just want to give more clarity to this old question (laugh) with these simple pictures, although this are only for last commit

1. Make sure you're on working copy

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 8.07.34 AM.png

2. You will find “Ammend last commit” by clicking “Commit options” at bottom right

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 8.11.05 AM.png

I have been scratching my head trying to figure out where to find the commit options! To save other folks time here are afew extra screenshots:

1.ammend_commit_msg_2.png

ammend_commit_msg_3.png

ammend_commit_msg_4.png

I am using sourceTree for windows version 1.6.18.0.

Hi Steve, I'm really new to SourceTree/web development...I'm not sure what the commit window is or how to navigate there. Could you walk me through it? Thanks

Hey Priscilla, had the same question today. The Commit Window is simply the window that pops open when you click on "Commit" ( top left). Hope that helped!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

250 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot