Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree - How to Merge/Commit after Pull

S Green September 12, 2015

Recently I did a Pull to get the latest from the remote. Immediately after that, my Working Copy changed to 23 from 7 (under File Status on the left panel). Presumably, the difference is the new files pulled from the remote that are newer than my local copies. The bottom status bar says: master Merge: 17 modified 6 missing. (I know that a dev deleted files which explains the 6 missing).

I want to update my local dev environment with the latest files, but am unclear how to do that and get my Working Copy back to the number that reflects only the files that I have changed locally.

git status from command line says “On branch master. All conflicts fixed but you are still merging.
Use “git commit” to conclude merge. In addition, there is a list of files (in red) that are “Changes not staged for commit. (I have not touched those files).
Use ‘git add/rm’ to update what will be committed.
Use ‘git checkout’ to discard changes in working directory.

Question: what is the fastest way to just update my local files and get “Working Copy” to 0?
Do I really need to do a “git commit” AND “git add” AND “git checkout”?

I’m just nervous about potentially changing anything on the remote or getting further out of synch.

Thanks in advance.

3 answers

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2015

Correct. "Commit" is a local operation. You must "Push" to modify remotes.

0 votes
S Green September 14, 2015

Thanks Seth. If we assume that I did not have uncommitted changes in my repo, and all I need to do is commit all the changes I've pulled from remote repo, is it correct that I can hit the top "commit" button? Just confirming that that only impacts my local repo (because I don't want to change remote at this point). Cheers

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2015

This sounds like an unusual situation to me. In my experience Git won't allow me to pull if I have any uncomitted changes in my repo. Are you confident you had local changes (that weren't committed)?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events