Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree GUI can't push, terminal can push

Matthew P Raffel November 21, 2020

I am having troubling configuring SourceTree.  I have repo already on the harddrive.  I installed git and SourceTree.  I made some changes in the repo.  I tried pushing the changes to the repo using SourceTree but it gives this error.   Git push from the command line works just fine.   

In Options - Authentication, I have my account set as ssh.  I have putty loaded and my certificate loaded in putty. 

Not sure what to do or what the problem is....

Thnx

gitproblem.png

I did have a passwd file in AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.  I deleted it.  When I pushed my change it prompted for a password which I cancelled and push failed.  Slightly different error.

gitproblem deleted pwd file.png

2 answers

0 votes
School-learner November 23, 2020

Mr Matthew,

Read properly. I'm not stupid. I'm not asking you to delete your windows system files. That obviously isn't the answer. There's such a thing called sourcetree system files. Your reply shows you know nothing about it. (If you knew or made the effort to google it out, you would have already done it.) Do the following.

Uninstall sourcetree (as stated earlier.)

i) Navigate to C://Users/<UserName>/appdata/local, now delete sourcetree folders.

II) Navigate to C://Users/<UserName>/appdata/atlassian, Now delete all source tree files and folders

Then reinstall sourcetree. Remember to use token authentication instead of password. Check if this works. There's some unknown problems in sourcetree. Many others are complaining about it.

0 votes
School-learner November 22, 2020

I think you are having similar problems like me as you are using the old password method to github. Password method no longer works. Use these steps and it should work.

1 - google out the location of your system files. From your path, i think you are also using windows. I won't know which ie. win 7, 8, 10 etc.

2 - uninstall, then go to these location, delete the system files completely.

3 - Restart of computer not required. Go to this link https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57013397/how-to-make-a-basic-connection-to-github-in-sourcetree. This should solve your problem. It did solve mine.

Tell me if this doesn't work. I believe git for sourcetree might not be working as the configuration is just no longer there.

Matthew P Raffel November 22, 2020

I do not understand what you mean system files.  Im not deleting \windows or any of its subdirectories :D

However, the personal access token did work.

School-learner November 22, 2020

You can google out system files. I'm sure the internet can give a good explanation.

So now is everything working properly? Are you still getting any error messages?

Matthew P Raffel November 23, 2020

I'm sorry.  That is not an acceptable answer.   System files means files installed by windows during OS installation.  If you are implying those files are to be deleted, you are wrong.  I may have had some issues with SourceTree but I am not that stupid to believe deleting system files is the solution.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events