SourceTree - Command Line Git

I am using SourceTree (1.6.10.0), and I absolutely love it. The thing that puzzles me is the version of Git that is being used. The command prompt says

> Welcome to Git (version 1.8.4-preview20130916)

git-scm.com shows 1.9.4 as being the latest release for Windows.

My question is, why is a release that's over a year old being used? Was there a change in 1.9 that is incompatible? Performance reason?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

Hi Edward

The version of Git installed on machines that interact with Stash must be compatible with the version of Git installed for use by the Stash server.

Please go through following links which will brief your understanding.

• cross Git 1.7.1 is not supported.
  • warning Git 1.8.3.x has some performance regressions which may cause problems in Stash with large repositories
  • cross 1.8.4.3 is not supported due to a critical bug in how symbolic refs are handled which breaks pushing and pulling for repositories with pull requests. (Details)
    STASH-4101 - Clone and fetch fail with "protocol error: impossibly long line" Closed
  • cross 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 are not supported due to a critical bug in git diff-tree which breaks Stash's commit page. (Details)
    STASH-5052 - Commit messages are wrong when using Git 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 Closed
  • cross Cygwin: Cygwin Git is not supported for use on Windows servers, regardless of version.
  • warning XenServer can cause msysgit to crash when XenServer Tools is installed. (Details)

@Rahul Danwade - Thank you! That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

2 votes
Timothy Chin Community Champion Nov 15, 2014

Not sure why but I am sure you know that you can install the latest Git on your client and use the system Git instead of the embedded Git.

You can switch from embedded to system git in Tools\Options\Git

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

743 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you