Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree App Icon missing on TaskBar in Windows 10

julesfpvr January 14, 2020

Since I upgraded to 3.3.6, when I launch SourceTree it places a new blank icon on the start bar instead of the Source Tree icon.

I've tried deleting/uninstalling all the old versions of SourceTree, deleting my iconcache.db etc. Having reinstalled SourceTree 3.3.6 I get the following:

There are two source tree exes on my system:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\SourceTree\SourceTree.exe

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-3.3.6\SourceTree.exe

Both of these show as having the normal icon in explorer. If I pin either of these exe's to my start bar then the normal icon appears on start bar.

Having pinned one of these to start bar, if I launch from start bar (or by running exe directly), SourceTree starts up and a new blank white icon appears on my start bar. I can pin this to the start bar

SourceTreeWhiteIcon.jpg

Digging into this, it appears to be because the actual program started is:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\SourceTree\Update.exe --processStart "SourceTree.exe"

And this shortcut is looking for an icon from a 2.1.2.5 version of SourceTree and the StartIn location is pointing to the wrong place.

I fixed this by editing properties on:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\SourceTree

and fixing the startin folder and changing the icon to point to SourceTree.exe

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Tipher January 18, 2020

Can confirm. You need to go to the properties of the shortcut (C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Atlassian) change the "Start in" location (remove\app-2.1.2.5 from the end) and click the Change Icon button to tell it to look in the right spot for the executable (C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\SourceTree). After that you should be able to pin the shortcut with the icon.

I did not have to touch anything in the User Pinned\Taskbar folder though.

Bad "Start in" location proof:

image.png

derrick-lewis January 28, 2020

Great explanation! This was exactly my issue. Thanks so much!

murat303 March 29, 2020

Thank you

Israel Lins Albuquerque May 28, 2020

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events