Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree 4.0.1 super high CPU usage on MacOS

Gilfoyle June 14, 2020

I've seen this problem reported since SourceTree 2.7 and I can't believe it's still not fixed in 2+ years, therefore I hope I'm doing something wrong.

Bug Description:

SourceTree consumes all of MacBook's CPU while doing exactly nothing.

Repro Steps:

1) Open SourceTree

2) Open a Repository (BigBucket connected - I don't know if this matters?)

3) Do exactly nothing

4) Watch the CPU consumption to grow and grow above >200% - untilt the MacBook's fan goes crazy

5 answers

12 votes
Justin Fiedler October 28, 2020

I had been dealing with this issue for way too long and and finally found a solution.

1. Close SourceTree

2. Install Github Desktop - https://desktop.github.com/

3. Never use SourceTree again

It's unfortunate that this issue hasn't fixed by Atlassian. SourceTree is a great app but this is a deal breaker. I can't continue living in fear that my idle Git client is going to start using 120%+ cpu every time I have it open (aka always).

Amirshafiq August 31, 2022

I am on same boat here

dayanvirpa March 23, 2023

I just tried SourceTree again on my Mac, and noticed it got sludgy when dealing with a stash pop. Activity Monitor showed it running about 53%, but then it dropped.

I think I'm not experiencing a memory leak or bug, but compared to other software, SourceTree seems to need a lot of optimizing in source code. Maybe Atlassian with its virtually infinite pile of money can give some more attention and care to SourceTree to minimize us posting here about CPU issues or recommending competitor software.

I don't know, strange thought of mine that a giant company with more money than they know what to do with spend some of it optimizing their software for performance reasons.

I still love ST's features more than GHDT, but, I'm still trying it out. Hopefully it doesn't suck too much.

6 votes
jfjcn July 11, 2020

I was having the same issue forever.  I found this:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/110198/securityd-using-100-cpu-and-polluting-system-log

Read down to the part about Keychain.  I had a bad account in my keychain, and it was causing these exact CPU issues.  Removed the bad entries in Keychain, and now everything is just fine.

Gilfoyle July 12, 2020

Thank you @jfjcn I appreciate your answer. I resigned on using SourceTree about a week ago (I'll describe my reasons below) but I still have my old account, I will try your tip just for completeness sake.

Martin Seysen August 14, 2020

I have the same issue with Version 4.0.2 of SourceTree. But the hint with removing entries in Keychain doesn't work for me.

arifjusoh December 28, 2020

Having the same issue (version 4.0.2).

Did remove all entries related to source tree. But it does not work for me. 😅

Rafael March 22, 2021

It worked for me! It seems to be related to the issue because my cpu got to 95% after I entered a wrong credential for a repo.

1 vote
BenStaveleyTaylor July 16, 2021

I'm stuck in my ways and I don't want to learn a new Git client right now :-). It seems that a workaround is to hide (Cmd-H) SourceTree, and the CPU usage quickly drops to 0% while hidden. Not ideal, but it soon becomes muscle memory when you stop actively looking at the SourceTree window.

1 vote
Gilfoyle July 12, 2020

Ok folks, I solved it in an unusual way, not suitable for everyone but wanted to share.

I got super-frustrated about Atlassian because there is no way to contact their customer support and Atlassian stuff is absolutely unresponsive in this forum.

A week ago I stopped using SourceTree and shifted to Visual Studio code with Git History plugin. It works excellent for me. Not only have I solved my CPU problem but I also got some more features that I've been waiting for for long-long time, such as:

• Viewing Git history of one single file
  • Viewing Git history of all files in a specific folder

Thanks to the community driven nature of VSCode plugins it's much more actively developed than the abandoned SourceTree.

I think it is a no way back for me.

0 votes
Nils Hollenbenders December 1, 2021

I‘m new to MacOS (latest MacOS, MacBook Pro, M1 10c CPU/16c GPU, 16 GB RAM), so I was looking for a git UI. What can I say, this issue is still existing… guess I’m using just using Git without UI.

Is Sourcetree still maintains by Atlassian?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events