Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in
Deleted user
0 / 0 points
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

SourceTree 3.1.3 Performance Issue on Windows Edited

I use SourceTree both on a laptop and on a Windows VM, and I have colleagues with a similar setup. I'm using version 3.1.3. Recently, and across multiple versions of SourceTree, the performance on my Windows VM has degraded by a huge amount...operations taking minutes instead of seconds. This is not a networking issue; the VM has a faster networking connection to the GIT repository than the laptop, so if anything, it should be faster.

GIT is functionally normally on the command-line. Commands execute quickly and with the response I would expect.

I used procmon to see what SourceTree is doing, and to my eye, it seems to be rapidly and constantly re-reading files and checking directories for files, including at least one folder where access is denied to my user account. I suspect some kind of path issue; I've tried cleaning up my path and rearranging, but so far, none of that has had an effect.

I've reinstalled SourceTree, including going back to a version. None of that has had any effect.

The only thing that has helped some is clearing out bookmarks and old repository references that no longer exist (using the + tab and cleaning up those entries). I have only three repositories locally. 

I've also toggled between embedded and system GIT. That doesn't seem to help.

Another symptom is that just trying to change the SourceTree options is slow. When I click on the OK button for the Options dialog, it locks up a couple of minutes.

This is completely unworkable right now, so any help is appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro Atlassian Team May 09, 2019

Hello! I suspect this is a weird disk access lag issue. You can reduce the amount of disk I/O for Sourcetree by doing the following:

  • Open Tools > Options
  • Uncheck "Refresh automatically when files change"
  • Check "Refresh when application is not in focus"
  • Uncheck "Check default remotes for updates"


To help investigate performance issues:

  • Open Tools > Process Log
  • Perform the action that causes Sourcetree to lockup (open close settings?)
  • Observe the time it took for each command to run and let me know which one seems to be taking the longest


Hi, thanks for the tips...I've done that. Unfortunately, nothing much seems to trigger any delay in the process output. The 7-second pull request was the only thing, and that's reasonable. It appears to me that the git commands all run reasonably fast, and that it's something within SourceTree other than running git commands that's causing the problem. The screen shot of a portion of the process output is below.



Also, I stumbled across the "Disable libgit2 integration" which seems to have helped some people. I've turned that on, and I think it might actually be helping. I'll have to work with it for a while to see for sure. At this very instant, I don't have any changes tracked.

Disabling libgit2 integration does seem to have resolved the problem for me. SourceTree is working mostly normally. Closing the Options dialog still takes a long time, but at least working with files and repositories is acceptable again.

Like Pavlos Vavolas likes this

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

3,333 views 4 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you