Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree 2.4.8 Offline Installation

Kevin Hsu February 27, 2018

Our company has many secured computers which do not have Internet access. Therefore, the installer of the SourceTree (2.4.8), which needs to login to an Atlassian account, will not work for this kind of environment.

Does Atlassian have any workaround for corporate users to install the "full package" (not just a web downloader and installer) of SourceTree without needing to access Internet and register the product with an Atlassian account?

If not, is there any way to install SourceTree in an offline environment? Also, is this a way that Atlassian recognizes as a legal way? i.e. We don't want to violate the legal terms or customer agreement.

2 answers

1 vote
w20682 January 16, 2019

Since this is the top result in Google for "SourceTree offline install" thought I would add my findings.  There appears to be an enterprise version of SourceTree that supports registering using a Bitbucket Server.  It can be downloaded here:

https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/enterprise

I don't have any experience with the enterprise version but hopefully this helps someone...

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2018

Hi Kevin! Currently, there's not an offline installer available. The team announced that they're working on creating an Enterprise installer for Sourcetree for Windows, which will be an MSI compatible with systems management software such as System Center Configuration Manager, support silent and offline installs, and allow the administrator to choose the installation folder. We don't have an ETA for this yet.

We're tracking feedback for this feature at SRCTREEWIN-6935. Feel free to vote for it or add your comment, you can also watch the ticket to receive further updates.

In the meantime, and as a workaround, you can collect the accounts.json and passwd files from a working install. To proceed with this method:

Delete the Atlassian folder from the AppData/Local directory for your user. Run the installer for 2.3.1, close it when you get the blank login window. Place the account.json and passwd files into the Atlassian/SourceTree folder. Rerun the installer. It should detect the account and password from those files and bypass the request for a login.

You can find an example in this comment.

Note that in order to be in compliance with the Atlassian EULA you must ensure the email address used in the file is valid, yours and associated with a valid Atlassian account.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Kevin Hsu March 5, 2018

Thank you, Ana. I did try the above way to bypass the online registration and login. And yes, I was able to go through.
Now I will be working on the "packaging" for the offline installation. This is what I plan:
1. Pre-Install: Uninstall old version of SourceTree
2. Pre-Install: Copy the designated account.json and passwd to AppData/Local/Atlassian/SourceTree
3. Installation: Run the SourceTreeSetup-2.4.8.0.exe
Do you have any suggestion for the above plan? Sound good?
Thank you again, Kevin

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2018

Hi Kevin, that sounds good to me.

Cheers!

Ana

Kevin Hsu March 6, 2018

Hi Ana,

Sorry for two more questions. We couldn't get the answer from the "official" Atlassian support line. I guess it's because SourceTree is a free tool and only community support is here.

• Does the Atlassian EULA, legal term, or customer agreement allows the above “workaround” to apply to hundreds of users in a company as an enterprise installation?
  • Does the Atlassian EULA, legal term, or customer agreement allows the “common” accounts.json, which has a commonly used and valid Atlassian user account, to be used to apply to hundreds of users in a company as an enterprise installation?

Thank you, again

Kevin

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2018

Hi Kevin, Sourcetree receives support exclusively through the Atlassian Community, here you can expect help from Support Engineers like me, Sourcetree developers, or other experienced users :)

In response to your questions, the above workaround can be applied to hundreds of users, but not by using a common account. As you can see from my comment at the end of my message:

Note that in order to be in compliance with the Atlassian EULA you must ensure the email address used in the file is valid, yours and associated with a valid Atlassian account.

The emails address used in the file needs to belong to the user using Sourcetree. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Hope this clarifies!

Ana

Trine IT March 14, 2018

In our educational setting, the current usage scenario doesn't work for us.  In our lab environments, we 'clear' login profiles after system reboots.  Currently installation scenario will not work as students do not have administrative rights to install especially in this case where the image would be in 'limbo' for lack of better description when SourceTree asks for credentials (before finishing install).

So, to confirm, there is nothing available that would allow for offline installation without specific user accounts?  As mentioned above, the workaround could possibly work, but not if individual accounts have to be used.  Totally impractical for educational computer lab environment.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events