SourceTree 2.3.1 Windows will not launch

StackOfRules September 21, 2017

A fresh install on Windows 10 (never installed before), and it will not launch.  Tried all of the remedies in other threads to no avail.  That includes:

1) Deleting the AppData\Local\Atlassian\SoureTree.exe_Url... directory
2) De-intalling and then...
3) Deleting the AppData\Local\Atlassian and AppData\Local\SourceTree directories

The sourcetree log shows:

ERROR [2017-09-21 12:29:08,609] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-21 12:29:08,766] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
at SourceTree.Configuration.WpfSpellCheckerPreFlightCheck.Run()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.RunPreFlightChecks()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
at SourceTree.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)

Any suggestions?

8 answers

26 votes
Austin Mason September 22, 2017

Have you tried navigating to the config file location (C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_{RANDOM_GUID}\2.3.1.0\user.config) and then including the following line

<setting name="AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles" serializeAs="String"> 
<value>True</value>
</setting>
Donald Sealy September 22, 2017

I was having the same problem as the OP, including the same stack trace and symptoms, and this answer solved my issues.

Thanks Austin!

StackOfRules September 22, 2017

You da man!!!  Yes, adding that to the user.config worked!  The installer kicked off on the next launch.  Thank you!

agrant3d September 25, 2017

This worked for me as well.

Anthony Attwood September 26, 2017

This worked for me too.

Other 'solutions' like uninstalling/reinstalling, or deleting everything in \AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe{GUID} did not work.

Even the installer failed to start until I let it fail once then added this AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles setting.

Gary Inglis September 26, 2017

And me! Thanks for taking the time to post this. 

Another morning wasted trying to figure this out myself!!!

gscalise-autovista September 26, 2017

This worked for me too. Thanks!!!

Quite an annoying bug. I lost all my config reinstalling and reinstalling. :/

maxjanisse September 27, 2017

Same with me.  Tried all the other suggested solutions for fixing this behavior and nothing worked.  Almost posted my own question until I found stumbled upon this thread.

Many thanks Austin!

chris_trinder October 3, 2017

This worked for me! Thank you so much!! :-)

Korhan Turker October 3, 2017

Thanks a lot! Worked for me too..

dickinre October 4, 2017

I was having this problem too, tried all the other suggested solutions and this is the only thing that worked, thanks a lot!!

Anwar Javed October 5, 2017

Thanks, It resolved my issue.

Connor Mahoney October 5, 2017

Fixes the issue. THANK YOU.

René Tuin October 11, 2017

This fixed the problem thanks!

Herman Scheenen October 12, 2017

Fixed the issue. Thanks!!!

skandarfessi October 12, 2017

Worked for meee ! =D Thanks :))

rocker8942 October 14, 2017

Thanks, it worked. Just wonder why this simple fix is not applied to the product yet. 

Chuck Lorence October 16, 2017

Works, thanks! I agree with Joe Park, why isn't this line included within the user.config already?

Matt Anderson October 23, 2017

This solved my issue as well.  I had already switched to GitKraken on this machine so I could continue to work until I had time to look into this bug.  I am disappointed this has been known about for so long, has caused so many issues but isn't included.  

torg October 31, 2017

thanks for the fix. Now I'm off to see what other horrors await me in 2.xxx land. Just switched from 1.9 and it has been. not pleasant.

Tom Tanner November 4, 2017

1/9 to 2.0 switch is a pain. Dear atlassian, please listen to your users

Do not like the install and unpack every time you run

Do not like that you have put the program in user directories rather than in program files

Do not like that you apparently don't bother checking your install programs work

I need the program. But I hate what you've done to it.

Vlad Stryapko November 7, 2017

Had the same issue, thanks.

The installation process is simply terrible and a big oversight at the company's part.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2017

@Tom Tanner if you'd like to be able to install Sourcetree in a different path, you might be interested in voting for SRCTREEWIN-7168. You can also watch the ticket to be notified of future updates.

Regards!

1 vote
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2017

We have a fix for this being tested at the moment.

ikbenkwik October 17, 2017

Is this fix available yet? Sourcetree just stopped working one day. I uninstalled it and tried to re-install, but the installer just seems to stop after a while. Icon is placed in start window, but it can't be started.

Like lissandrobassani likes this
1 vote
StackOfRules September 21, 2017

I tried this on a VM, and found that the install is never fully completing on the development platform.  I have no idea why.  It launches, shows the splash screen and then stops.  The desktop icon is created, but the configuration dialog never appears.

dieterrosch October 2, 2017

I had the same issue - Austin Mason's solution above worked for me to fix this as well.

0 votes
vasudevas May 11, 2018

0 votes
Iash44 October 31, 2017
0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
October 18, 2017

Hi everyone! As an update for this question, we have just started the progressive rollout of Sourcetree v2.3.5.0 which includes a fix for this issue. You should be prompted to upgrade sometime over the next 14 days or, alternatively, you can download the update directly from https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-2.3.5.0.exe

Have a nice day!

Ana

aafi October 19, 2017

ST was crashing for me on some specific repo (with two worktrees), no matter how many times I did reinstall it or the lines added to the config file.

Version 2.3.5.0 is working (so far).

aafi October 19, 2017

Well, so far. I've clicked "Jump to" and it crashed!

FYI, 2.3.1 was working yesterday, so it's not strictly related to the worktrees.

It's working with other repos.

Patrick Little October 23, 2017

This installer is also crashing before completing the setup

Hrvoje Muzina October 23, 2017

Neither 2.3.1.0 nor 2.3.5.0 work.

However, I found a copy of 1.10.20.1 and that one works great. 

0 votes
claudiotorres September 26, 2017

Renamed SourceTree, SourceTree-Settings and tmpAtlassian to tmpSourceTree, tmpSourceTree-Settings and tmpAtlassian on C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local .
In my case, worked.

0 votes
Marc Villeneuve September 22, 2017

Cleaning the windows temp dirs worked for me. Same issue before.

StackOfRules September 22, 2017

Tried that - no effect.  Same results.

I even tried installing on a stock VM (where it succeeded), connecting to a repository, then copying the files to the problem system.  It still generated the same error in the logs.

Checked the OS (no problems found), and tried other clients (i.e., GitKraken - all worked), but SourceTree has some issue that I can't pin down. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events