Source tree painfully slow on mac

I watched this thread, but it seems to be focused on Windows 7 and not apply to me

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/10413451/sourcetree-slow-in-windows-7-x64...

I've always found SourceTree to be very slow. Lately though, it's gotten out of hand. Especially since native git and GitX is orders of magnitude faster. What I mean by that is that the UI freezes a lot (I get the spinning bathing ball for many seconds). For instance, this happen when I click a file in the "Unstaged" area, so it's added to the "Staged" area. Now I have to wait a couple of seconds before I can click on a file in the "Unstaged" area again. Also just scrolling in the "Unstaged" area is very slow.

Some more information

• I'm on a 2014 MacBook Pro
  • Using Yosemite
  • I don't have a lot of unstaged files (right now maybe 10-20)
  • I don't have a lot of pending files (right now maybe 20)
  • I've set the binary diff limit to 0
  • I do not use submodules
  • I've tried both embedded git and system git
  • Restarting seems to help a bit, but it's never really good

This is really painful. Any way I can help out by sending dumps/more information?

8 answers

I found a solution working for me:

I realized that SourceTree used the embedded git with version 2.1. I installed via brew git 2.3 and switched sourcetree to using my brew-git. 

Tada: Now SourceTree is fast, again.

Steps:

• brew install git
  • SourceTree -> Preferences -> GIT -> Use Sytem Git -> Select /usr/local/bin/git

I did this, seems to be faster so far. I'll post an update in a few days to see if it stick. Thank you Sebastian.

Update: Changes did not help after all. Still experience the same sluggishness.

Thanks @Sebastian Gabbert, seems faster now

exactly the same here. Same Setup, same problems.

I've seen the spinning ball especially building the diff and staging large css-files for several seconds.

Thanks for the reply @Sebastian Gabbert. I think you're right. First it was even slower, but then I restarted Source Tree and now it's actually faster again. It seems something is fishy in ST as well though. Thanks for the advice!

Ok, now I've tried this for some time. And the problem is really not fixed by that. And not restarting either. I get a LOT of bathing ball time. 10 seconds is not uncommon. As a comparison running git status from command line takes 0.15s.

I've been having this issue quite a lot lately especially when I scroll down the commits scroll view. It'll chug for 0.5s every 10 or so commits I scroll down. It's extremely annoying.

Mine seems to be working now on my Mac.  I've been seeing significant performance issues with SourceTree as well.  Tried many things (including suggestions here) and it continued to be very slow. 

I finally changed the view from 'log' to 'file status' and then back again and now it's speedy again. IU believe the UI might have  a memory leak that gets reset upon view change(I know, doesn't make immediate sense). I'll post updates if things change.

Mo

this worked for me, thanks for feeding back ;) atlassian, please fix!

Using the system git fixed the issue perfectly.

0 vote

Changing to the system git did the trick for me.

Thank you!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

563 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you