It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Source tree not starting in windows 10

Hi Attlasian,

My source tree did not start in my windows 10 local and so I troubleshooted by deleting the attlasian folder in the ......./Local/AppData directory,uninstalled sourcetree and then I tried installing the Sourcetree again but while installing the source tree icons visible for 10 seconds and the application does not start,I have tried multiple versions but could not start my sourcetree application

In my Source tree folder(Local\Atlassian\SourceTree) I am only having 

analytics_gas_upload Folder and

sourctree.log file which is empty

Solutions are appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey Atlassian Team Mar 04, 2019

Hi

Sourcetree, the application, installs in the to %localappdata%/Sourcetree folder, its configuration files go in %localappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree.

inside %localappdata%/Sourcetree there should be a Sourcetree.exe and a versioned folder like app-3.0.17.

The Sourcetree.exe is actually a wrapper to the real .exe which is app-3.0.17/Sourcetree.exe.

Can you try running each of the two Sourcetree.exe files?

If neither work can you provide any Event Viewer errors or probably more useful is anything in the %locaappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree/Sourcetree.log ?

@minnsey 

None of this works and also my sourcetree.log  file is empty

Actually what I did was before uninstalling, I deleted the atlassian folder in my %localappdata% and tried installing again.

Now while installing the source tree icon is visible for 10 seconds and does not start after that.

minnsey Atlassian Team Mar 05, 2019

Does the %localappdata%/Sourcetree folder exist?

minnsey Atlassian Team Mar 05, 2019

So there are Sourcetree.exe files, but double clicking them appears to do nothing and there is nothing in the Event Viewer or in the %locaappdata%/Atlassian/Sourcetree/Sourcetree.log ?

That's right @minnsey ,Can you help me out I'm facing a lot of difficulties without Sourcetree.

minnsey Atlassian Team Mar 06, 2019

To be honest I'm not sure what to suggest.

When you do try starting Sourcetree.exe can you confirm that it is not running in the Task Viewer? Just in case it is running but is off screen etc.

@minnsey I got these logs while installing the sourcetree .

CheckForUpdateImpl: Reading RELEASES file from .......\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
CheckForUpdateImpl: First run or local directory is corrupt, starting from scratch
ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: ..........\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.3.1
LogHost: Rigging execution stub for SourceTree_ExecutionStub.exe to ........\AppData\Local\SourceTree\SourceTree.exe
ApplyReleasesImpl: Squirrel Enabled Apps: [........\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.3.1\SourceTree.exe]
ApplyReleasesImpl: Starting fixPinnedExecutables
ApplyReleasesImpl: Examining Pin: Command Prompt.lnk
ApplyReleasesImpl: Examining Pin: File Explorer.lnk
ApplyReleasesImpl: Examining Pin: Google Chrome.lnk
ApplyReleasesImpl: Fixing up tray icons
ApplyReleasesImpl: cleanDeadVersions: for version 2.3.1
ApplyReleasesImpl: cleanDeadVersions: exclude folder app-2.3.1

minnsey Atlassian Team Mar 07, 2019

That all looks fine.

Can you check permissions on the folder, we have seen odd behavior  occasionally because of that, but because it installs into your user folder it is unlikely.

Can you also try the latest 3.0.17 installer?

These are the logs while I tried installing sourcetree 

Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
Program: Starting install, writing to .....\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
Program: About to install to: .....\AppData\Local\SourceTree
CheckForUpdateImpl: Couldn't write out staging user ID, this user probably shouldn't get beta anything: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '.......\AppData\Local\SourceTree\packages\.betaId'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.File.InternalWriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.File.WriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding)
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.getOrCreateStagedUserId()
CheckForUpdateImpl: Failed to load local releases, starting from scratch: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '.......\AppData\Local\SourceTree\packages\RELEASES'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at Squirrel.Utility.LoadLocalReleases(String localReleaseFile)
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.<CheckForUpdate>d__2.MoveNext()

minnsey Atlassian Team Mar 07, 2019

Hi

Unfortunately they aren't really errors, just over enthusiastic logging  by Squirrel.Windows that essentially must indicates it hasn't found a previous install.

@minnsey  I found few logs in my  event viewer,is there anything you could do with this.

Log 1:

Faulting application name: SourceTree.exe, version: 2.3.5.0, time stamp: 0x59d5304e
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.753, time stamp: 0xcdfe5b92
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a388
Faulting process id: 0x1f00
Faulting application start time: 0x01d519e80c94162c
Faulting application path: ........\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.3.5\SourceTree.exe
Faulting module path: ...\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 333104cd-04f9-4673-ae49-768fba6a954a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:  

Log 2:

Application: SourceTree.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Management.ManagementException
at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(System.Management.ManagementStatus)
at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection+ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
at SourceTree.Utils.WindowsOSHelper.GetWindowsVersion()
at SourceTree.App..ctor()
at SourceTree.App.Main()

minnsey Atlassian Team Jun 03, 2019

Hi, my starting assumption would be there is an issue with the .NET installation.

Can you try re-installing .NET 4.7.2 and updating Sourcetree to 3.1.3 or higher?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,907 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you