Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source tree has stopped showing "new" files

John Rocha October 25, 2016

I must have toggled an option somewhere and I cannot figure it out.

SourceTree has suddenly stopped showing "new" files.

What I mean by this is that, it used to be that I would add a new file to a git controlled directory and it would appear in SourceTree's unstaged files window with the green plus icon next to it.

This no longer happens in any of my repositories.

SourceTree detects if I modify an existing file, but not a newly added file.

I confirmed that I do not have a global .gitignore.

I did a test. I created a brand new repository. No global .gitignore and no local .gitignore. I created a file in the directory but SourceTree ignores it.

Any suggestions?

8 answers

1 accepted

16 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2016

There is a dropdown above the file list. If you switched it to "Modified" instead of "Pending", it would only show tracked files that had changes.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2016

It's worth mentioning that you'd also not see deleted or conflicted files.

Like Capt-Phil likes this

Goodness!!! I see that option now... so I didn't need to go nuclear and do a complete reinstall! Next time! I'll be sure to keep the team updated.

Thank you Seth.

Like Svetlana Biscornet likes this
Rameez Hassan May 9, 2018

Still Cant see the new files

Like # people like this
Anne Richardson August 10, 2018

Is there supposed to be a setting like this in BitBucket too? If so, I'm not seeing one.

louis kurian September 12, 2018

OMG!! Awesome

Bill OLeary October 1, 2018

Thanks for this solution!

This was really wreaking havoc with what I thought I was checking in 

Was it a new update that changed the default to use modified instead of pending?

Amit Chahar September 7, 2020

@Rameez Hassan I think you have faced the same issue that I faced, this answer is specific to filtering of files, you may see my answer below if that helps you. 

1 vote
manindersaroye September 11, 2019

Delete the gitignore file in your folder . it will work ..... :)

0 votes
valids November 17, 2020

Unfortunatelly, in Sourcetree you cannot combine multiple filters. You have to switch between those lists, which is pitty.

Better in SmartGit where you have a lot of checkboxes you can use to filter the list in any imaginable way.

0 votes
Amit Chahar September 7, 2020

Found a Solution - Check and Click on "Like" if it Works for You

The same thing happened with me as well. I pasted a new folder into the local repository, but the Source Tree app was not showing the new files. Generally, it shows any new files in the Unstaged Files pane with a green tick mark on each file. I tried lots of stuff, but following action worked. 

1. Let's consider, the new folder whose files were not displayed as Folder A.

2. I created a new empty Folder B, copied all the files from Folder A and pasted into Folder B. 

3. Deleted Folder A, and renamed Folder B as Folder A. 

Over here, it's a matter of research, on finishing Step 2, I could see all my files in the Unstaged Files pane in Source Tree app. Then, even after Step 3, files were visible. 

--------------------------------------------- Answer Ends Here--------------------------

Steps that didn't work: 

1. Removed the .gitignore file 

2. Removed the Read only file status for the whole folder 

3. Deleted the local repository and re-cloned it 

4. Used the different file filter types

0 votes
Gunjan Mandaliya May 11, 2020

If we want to see only modified files (modification into existing available files only) then only the "Modified" option is useful and if we want to see New Files added + Modified files then the "Pending" option is perfect to use it.

It will show you the New files added (with Question Mark sign in Unstaged section and if we stage newly added all/selective files then new files will show with Plus sign in to Staged section) and existing modified files with Horizontal 3 dots.

Brian Cairney August 6, 2020

I have the same issue. I am new to sourcetree and bitbucket.  In the dropdown above the files I set "Pending files,sorted by status"  but new files are still not showing up under "Unstaged files"?  I need help. Thank you

Like Amit Chahar likes this
0 votes
Ankit N July 14, 2019

thanks

0 votes
Kelum Gajamannage July 17, 2017

Thanks John Rocha. That is what exactly happened to me....!

0 votes

I don't know what the surgical response would be, but it works after I uninistalled GIT and SourceTree, deleted all Source Tree files I coudl find under the Windows App Data folder and then reinstalled the two items.....

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events