Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source tree application doesn't open on Windows machine

Aayush Chachan November 26, 2021

I have tried re-installing it thrice in the past week. It works fine after the installation but after I close the app and try to open it again then it never opens up.

1 answer

3 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2021

Hi @Aayush Chachan ,

I had the same problem in the past and it was caused by user.config file.

Try to delete C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe<random_string>\<version_number>\user.config file and restart SourceTree.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Aayush Chachan November 26, 2021

Thanks @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ for replying to question. But this didn't help.

Aayush Chachan November 29, 2021

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ , Any other suggestion?

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2021

Hi @Aayush Chachan , please provide your SourceTree version in order to check if there's some bug.

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ When I posted this question I was using 3.4.1 but today I installed 3.4.5
And I am observing the same issue in the latest version too.

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2021

Hi @Aayush Chachan ,

try to perform a new clean installation. The steps are as follows:

1. Wipe SourceTree preferences
  2. Uninstall SourceTree (if it shows on the App&Features list)
  3. Backup then delete the directory below before proceeding with next step
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete SourceTree & SourceTree-Settings folder
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all SourceTree Files/Folder.
  4. Download SourceTree and install it.

Let me know if it helped.

Fabio

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ ,

I followed all the steps mentioned by you but still no luck.

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2021

@Aayush Chachan , could you check C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\sourcetree.log file in order to figure out your current issue?

Sourcetree.log file data:

2021-11-29T20:07:30: LogHost: Initializing to normal mode
ERROR [2021-11-29 20:08:41,107] [1] [SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager] [Log] - Unable to set owner as parent is not visible or non-existent

That's all

I observed one more file: "<some_string>sourcetree.log" which get created every time I try to open sourcetree app.

The content of that file is like:

2021-11-29T20:20:46: LogHost: Initializing to normal mode
2021-11-29T20:20:48: LogHost: SuppressChangeNotifications was called (perhaps via AddRange), yet you do not
2021-11-29T20:20:48: LogHost: have a subscription to ShouldReset. This probably isn't what you want, as ItemsAdded
2021-11-29T20:20:48: LogHost: and friends will appear to 'miss' items
2021-11-29T20:20:48: Could not obtain git dir, is not a git repo.

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2021

Based on this thread https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/Can-t-add-repo-Unable-to-set-owner-as-parent-is-not-visible-or/qaq-p/797199 it seems that there's a corrupted file in your repo

Try that approach.

Ciao,

Fabio

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events