Source Tree Start Menu Icon missing in Windows 10

A couple of months ago I did an update to Source Tree and the icon disappeared. I was too busy to do anything about it at the time but would like to have this fixed as it is bothering.

So far I have unpinned sourcetree and repinned but that did not fix the icon. Not sure how to proceeed. Attached screenshot of the start menu with sourcetree missing icon.

Capture.JPG

3 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
1 vote

Un-pinning, re-running the full installer, then re-pinning fixes the icon (and all your SourceTree configs are retained).

(No need to completely uninstall and then re-install.)

Thank you, Dominic! I've marked this issue as resolved by this process.

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes

Hi

I've not experienced that problem, it looks OK for me. There was an issue with shortcuts, in the start menu and taskbar, a few releases ago due to an issue in the Squirrel.Windows installer we use.

At this stage I can only suggest removing the shortcut, then uninstalling Sourcetree and re-installing. That should create new shortcuts which you can pin to the start menu,

Not interested in uninstalling, reinstalling and reconfiguring all my settings and keys.

potentially unpinning and then re-running the full installer, rather than uninstalling first, download from https://sourcetreeapp.com might allow you to re-pin with the icon without loosing any settings.

FWIW as most configuration is store in %localappdata%\Atlassian\Sourcetree* uninstalling the app, from %localappdata%\Sourcetree, will not delete your settings.

I can confirm un-pinning, re-running the full installer, then re-pinning fixes the icon (and all your SourceTree configs are retained). No need to completely uninstall and then re-install.

Hi Dominic,

Thank you for letting us know that fixed your issue.

If you'd like, you can submit it as a new answer below Suggest an answer and I can accept it as the correct solution. This will help future users with the issue.

Regards,

Shannon

I can also confirm that this worked for me. All good now.

0 votes

Sean,

Although Michael's answer is best, would you be able to set the icon manually?

I remember this being pretty straightforward in earlier releases of Windows, and although I'm not very familiar with the version you're using, I would recommend that if you want to avoid reinstalling.

Of course, reinstalling would ensure you have the most up-to-date icon, but this is another workaround.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

992 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you