Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source Authentication Stopped Working

Matt_Houser February 22, 2018

Problem:

- Sourcetree has stopped authenticating with GitHub. I cannot push, pull, etc.

- If I try to push/pull, one of 3 various username/password dialogs appear.

- Full output shows:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch origin

Logon failed, use ctrl+c to cancel basic credential prompt.
remote: Invalid username or password.
fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://github.com/...'

What did I do before this started:

- Source Tree: No changes to SourceTree were done by me. I pushed a change this morning and all was fine. This afternoon, any push/pull prompts with the username/password dialog (which 3 different ones appear at different times).

- GitHub: No security changes, only pushes, pulls, issue edits, etc.

My Sourcetree Configuration:

- I was using OAuth authentication

- Was using System Git (according to Options dialog). I never use command-line git on this computer (I have Sourcetree :) )

What Have I Tried to Fix This:

- Tried "Refresh OAuth Token". That succeeds and the Options dialog says "Authentication OK". But push/pull still has same problem.

- Tried changing to "Basic" and then "Refresh Password". My GitHub account uses MFA, so I use a GitHub "Access Token" as my password. Using that here, the Options dialog says "Login failed. Authentication failed for GitHub with username...". That very same Access Token works fine using command-line Git on my Linux computer.

- Uninstalled Sourcetree & Git and reinstalled Sourcetree. During installation, I chose "Embedded Git". Problem continues.

My Computer Configuration

- Windows 10

- Sourcetree version: 2.4.8

2 answers

4 votes
Andrew Magill February 22, 2018

The problem is that SourceTree's embedded git client comes with git-crediential-manager v1.12, which no longer works now that Github has disabled TLS 1.1.  Until they update the embedded git package, you'll have to switch to a system git client with git-credential-manager v1.14, or manually replace git-credential-manager in your embedded git client with v1.14.  You can get the new version of git-credential-manager from Microsoft's Github page.  I just downloaded the ZIP and extracted it to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\SourceTree-Settings\beta\git_local\mingw32\libexec\git-core, but your path my vary.

Joseph Ficara February 26, 2018

The suggestion from Andrew worked for me.

Note: My path was a slightly different:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\libexec\git-core

Having SourceTree use System Git also worked with the latest git install from:

https://git-scm.com/downloads

Thanks Andrew!

venkatasai_ponnuru_kony_com May 4, 2020

The solution worked for me.

Thanks Andrew.

0 votes
devuxer May 3, 2018

I ran into this today. In my case, creating a Personal Access Token on GitHub and using that as my password instead of my actual password solved the problem. (I think this is necessary when you use two-factor authentication.)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events